Time to Upgrade???

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bmyers4321, Sep 29, 2008.

1. well i have had my D80 now since it came out and am looking at the D300 for and upgrade. but i am still unsure if i want to pull the trigger. i do shoot volleyball often and sometimes in darker gyms and the D80 is good but after seeing pictures from you guys it looks as though the D300 is worlds better. i wont be for a few more weeks that i do this if i decide to. maybe you guys could give me some help on deciding.

2. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    If you even think the words "indoor sports without flash", and smile at the thought of it, then yes, it is time to upgrade.

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    what sort of ISO do you need to go to on the D80 for volleyball Brad ?

D300 will get to to 2000 comfortable, and 3200 a little uncomfortably

4. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I have both cameras and the D300 really shines. Its high ISO capability is great with the CMOS sensor rather than the CCD in the D80. Also the controls are much easier to use. Its a great camera, but I still love and use my D80 too.

5. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    The D300 has great ISO performance IMO. I say it warrants an upgrade (it's a big part of the reason I upgraded my D80)

6. see all of these responses is why i love the cafe. and sorry for the delay on my reponse i have been having computer issue but all is well now.

lol i laughed to so i guess it is time.
    1600-2000 is what i was looking to go about.
    i will probably be the same way. but i may end up selling it for that extra cash flow.
    i agree. i have been reading and staring at pictures for id say hours now and have decided to buy. hopefully in the next week or so.

thanks for the input everyone. i am going to buy it and hopefully get into the photography field a little as my day time job is suffering a little. any other input is greatly appreciated.

7. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal
    D300 without a doubt. I just got mine today. Im drooling all over it.

8. TheShotLessTaken

TheShotLessTaken

Oct 2, 2008
    SoCal

Pfft, try this.... http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCFX..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16460W5T42ZJMEFSKH8S

9. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    I would consider the D90. Same sensor and by some accounts tweeked a bit better.
    Given the fast camera cycles it makes a lot of sense to spend a bit less and and change cameras every 2 years rather than buying a higher model and changing every 3-4 years. Ofcourse if money isnt an issue...

10. I did the same thing.glad I did.

11. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    D90 vs D300

The d90 looks to be a great camera, I held one several weeks ago and did not want to let it go. For sports however, if you use larger lenses, 70-200, 300 f/4, other 2.8 glass, etc... It may be fairly unbalanced to shoot with. I would try both with the intended lenses and see what you think.

Regarding camera cycles, I'm only on my second, but my fisrt DSLR gave me 5 yrs.

12. i thought about the D90 before the D300 and decided against it. plus i have no use for the movie mode so imo it would just be a waste.

also, and if i shouldnt ask this say so and ill delete it, what would be a good price to sell my D80 w/ 1gb mc, Tamron 28-75 2.8 and Nikkor 70-300ED? the camera has below 5000 actuations easily, the 70-300 is basically brand new only used it for a little while then bought my 80-200. and the tamron is about a year old.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  13. rbalston

rbalston

Sep 14, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I'm thinking about this also. I have a D80 but think I'm gonna jump up to the D300.
    Brad Alston (another Brad)

14. w00t for another Brad of the forum :biggrin:

15. ok i must ask. and i am not posting it as a selling item. i have a few people that are interested and want to have a good idea what i should be asking.

do you guys think $800 for my D80,Tamron 28-75, Nikkor 70-300ED, Lexar Pro 133x 1GB SD card and all accessories that came with the camera is a fair price.

16. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    Hi Brads:biggrin:
    My family thinks I am crazy, and don't get me wrong I love my D80 and will keep it, but I soooo want to upgrade to the D300! Lovely ISO and I hate using that flash..... not hate, but really would rather not! Got a hold of both the D90 and D300 in a local cam shop this week and boy the D300 was my pick there. I loved its speed, and colors. One of these days.....
    Anyway Congrats to the Brads!!:biggrin:

17. Thanks for the input Carol. from what ive read the D300 is better than the D90 but since you have put your hands on both and like the D300 better. just another encouragement for me to get it.

18. I like my D70s with all my prime lenses but will upgrade to D700.

19. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    If volleyball is the reason, skip the D300 and get a D700. Having both, I would not get the D300 if I had to replace it today. Either get the D90 or save more for a D700. The D300 can perform at high ISO, but it smooths out detail.