Timers

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jun 1, 2007.

1. I have been tending to use cheap digital timers that can store three count down times, etc. while processing film. They work well enough.

But, I just killed the fourth one last night with but a drop or two of liquid from my fingers. Argh.

So I thought about getting a proper darkroom timer, you know, the ones everyone is familiar with. But eh, why?

This led me to look for any software that might do this well. Nothing popped up.

Then I remembered I write software as a profession. :biggrin:

So, I am going to, when I get time :rolleyes: write Mac OSX software the puts up a nice big timer, lets you set up a process, and takes some sort of input such that you can indicate you finished a step and when to start the next one. Etc.

I'll use it to log film processes as well.

Input wise, I will start with those presentation remotes. I will look for some sort of big wireless button thing too. Something you can whack with your elbow or your foot and not get wet.

If anyone else is interested and has ideas, let em fly. It will end up being shareware of some kind, but mostly it'll be for me and I won't treat it like a commercial product, and I won't expect anyone here to pay for it.

:cool:

Eventually I am going out on my own, and "little" projects like this will be meant to get me in the groove.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That sounds like a very cool project Ed! Sounds like a good start to Beezleware. :BigGrin:

ps, of course a timer might be cheaper to replace than a laptop. I'm thinking of my own bathroom/darkroom where anywhere the laptop would sit, it would be in peril. But the concept is too cool!

3. The idea is the computer is on the other side of the room.

Of course for us bathroom developers, it might be in a different room.

Once I have more of a studio, I'll just use one of my minis and some cheap screen or other. But still use a remote.

Will be fun in any case.

I love the idea of developing modern software for the latest computers to support some old obsolete chemical process.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Nils

Nils

Mar 30, 2007
    Aptos, California
    That sounds like a good idea for the future. but, I'm pretty happy with the school facilites.
    nils

6. Audio might work if a distinct enough sound could be used. Voice recognition is pretty unreliable if you aren't right on top of the mic. Maybe a clicker of some sort.

I've seen Bluetooth work from a few hundred feet. Might be doable.

The presentation remotes are the best bet reliability wise. They are well used and have a need to have range and reliability. Logitech makes one that is 2.4gz wireless, but costs about $50 US.

I have friends in the hardware biz. I'll find something. "Boss switch" sounds interesting.

7. BTW, software development started out something I did because I enjoy it. For the first decade I wrote shareware, lots of stuff for the lab I worked in (polymer chemist) and eventually wandered into the industry.

And while I am obviously pleased to have had such a career, since the early 80s my goal has been to do my own thing. I've shipped enough products used by umpteen people to know what I can pull off.

Even if I ultimately fail, I'll have a lot of fun trying.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh no you di-int!

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Beezleware....Mikie Likie!

10. Would you throw "Beezleware" parties?

11. You guys are killing "beezleware" quite well. :biggrin:

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. It is also about control. Not that I am so much better at it than anyone else, but when such complexity is managed in a consistent manner you can save much of the effort that larger organizations put out. Just compare the largest companies to the smallest. They don't produce more or better software.

The one large project I did more or less by myself because of the turmoil in the company at the time required only one small update to fix all of the found bugs. And it was sold for many years afterwards.

Somehow this lesson continues to be lost. I've never understood that.

Not to mention focusing on the customer, not pleasing executives. I've always been far more motivated by a complaint by a user on a message board than even the largest of the egos I answer to.