Timing development

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Finally got a few hours of time and put together an OS X app to act as a digital darkroom timer.

IMG_6323-web.

I tried several methods of control, including a cheap silicone rubber keyboard, but found this $35 RF presentation remote works best. Note the photo-chemical proof cover. :rolleyes:

IMG_6326-web.

So far so good. Much preferable to some cheap timer that dies halfway through a development.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That looks really nice Ed. I hope that the hardware team is working on the remote though. It kinda looks like it's in a baggie. :Unsure:

ps, when will your software be available to trou?

3. Well if you are up to editing the "documents" it reads as XML (or you can use the OS X plist editor) you could use it now if you like.

Only thing I would ask would be to not spread it around too much until I have it further along.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh yes! I would keep it to myself on my very own vintage Pismo PB! :biggrin:

5. Ed, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a couple of beta testers, no? You could always have folks sign an NDA! :biggrin:

6. At this point you will be prototype testers. :biggrin:

For this purpose, this will probably always be a free app. I am going to go off and do my own software thing in the (hopefully) near future, but I plan on doing things like this as a contribution to the community. Besides, the audience isn't exactly a large one.

Another version will grow into something to help record a film development log.

Chris, I will email you a copy later today when I get a minute. Running the little monsters to a municipal pool for a few hours. Pismo? I have a "Lombard," the laptop just before the Pismo. I have never run OS X on it though.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The Piz runs osx fine, in fact, I'm often posting here from that machine. I have an antique Wallstreet (prior to the Lombard) that lumbered a bit on OSX, so I reformatted the disk and re-installed OS9.

8. LOL!

Ed, why not call it The Ed'arkroom-2000 ver.1.001

9. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

Looks cool!

It would be awesome if you could some how build in the Massive Development Chart so all you have to do is select you film and developer. Probably not possible, but it would be cool!

10. That would be s-w-e-e-e-et! By the way did I mention the interface looks great.

11. That has been on my mind. Anything is possible. Limited really only by how much time I can put into it. The app I'm about to send Chris took a few hours. I do this for a living and am relatively efficient at it. Hooking up to the MDC is probably not a big deal so long as they don't mind.

And also a utility for adjusting times for particular temperatures. Stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2007