Timna Park, Arava valey, Israel

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by heiko, Nov 4, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Here are some more pictures from the desert trip last month. We visited Timna park, where some 3000-3500 years ago the Egyptians used to dig for copper. The park is some 15 miles north to Eilat, the northern tip of the Red Sea. The mine workers used to dig straight holes into the rock and then expanded sideways into tunnels in search of the precious copper ore. With daytime temperatures between 25C in winter to 40-50C in summer, your carreer options were quite limited and one was lucky to survive this job alive.

Unfortunately one cannot climb down the mine holes, and most of them are filled with sand and rubble up to the ground level. So I took some pictures of the scenery.

This is a mushroom like rock formation at Timna park.
    original.

Scenery shot with Negev mountain range in the back.
    original.

Rain is very scarce in the Arava valey, it rains perhaps once in a few years. Nevertheless, some low scrubs and little trees survive at the bottom of a dried wadi (riverbed).
    original.

The rock formations here are the King Solomon's Pillars, though I doubt King Solomon had anything to do with giving them their name. A little to the right, on the side of the rocks (not shown in the picture) are the remnants of an Egyptian temple. (I didn't make it there this time as it was really hot and we were seeking some shelter and relieve from the heat.)

original.

By the way, the red color of some of the rocks and mountains is what gave the Red Sea its name. You can find the same color of rocks and mountains along the Read Sea coast of the Sinai peninsula.

There was quite a lot of haze that day (well, that's normal for summer). I hope to visit again in the winter when the sky is clear.

Critique welcome!

2. Heiko, I missed a lot of good shots when I was visiting Israel about 5 years ago. Back then all I had was a point and shoot. Now I want to go back again to get those shots I missed.

Good job on your part. I love the rock formation.

3. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for your comment, Melissa. There are many nice places here, but unfortunately I didn't get much around this year. I've been several times to Timna park over a period of 20 years, but I was never really able to capture the spirit of it as I perceive it when I'm there - either because I didn't have a camera or only a point&shoot, or this time because I simply lack the knowledge and touch. However, I also feel whatever pictures I saw taken of this park, none of them really showed what I was looking for. So maybe I should give it another try at a better time of the year.

Perhaps I'll visit Jerusalem tomorrow and take some pictures.

4. Beautiful Heiko! I'd love to spend some time with my D1x in that environment....

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Truly amazing landscape.
    You have captured this quite well . The colors are great
    Thanks for sharing.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Frits and Gale,

Thanks for your comments. I hope to be able to visit Timna Park in the winter when the light and the heat are more favorable. In a few hours I'm off to London and I'm already sure I'm gonna miss the heat at Timna (I hate cold weather).