Tim's actor style headshots

Discussion in 'People' started by srwatters, Mar 27, 2007.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Along with the hoodie and 'weight' images posted earlier, which I did for fun, we made some headshots for Tim's portfolio. Here are the first two chosen by his agency.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know these are 9x12, but that is what I was asked to produce. I always do my master edits at the full camera frame, so alternate crops are not an issue. These may look a little soft in web size because I did no sharpening. In fact I did no sharpening at all from the RAW data to the final print size images. The 70-200mm and the D200 are tack sharp.

As usual for this kind of shot, no skin processing either. Just a touch of patch tool to remove a (temporary) blemish here and there.

Comments appreciated as always.

2. very nice. perfect lighting...

3. Scott, this is excellent work and I like them a lot. My favorite is #1.

4. Both great, but the first one really shows personality - a very warm, rich smile. Eyes are great too. The grey isn't fighting his skin tones for attention. He should send some full body shots for modeling as well.

5. first is very well

6. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    That's mighty fine work Scott. Can you share a lighting diagram? I'm doing more and more of this kind of shooting and can use all the help I can get.

Thanks.

7. Agreed, that would be nice if you had the time to do so...

8. cbclark64

cbclark64

Feb 20, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Both very well done, Scott. I too would be interested in the lighting diagram.

Chris

9. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks for all the comments. I'll post a diagram later tonight. Don't be shocked if it's a single light setup :biggrin:

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are excellent Scott.

11. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Well I need to admit I did have more than one light on for this shot but the subject was lit with a single 48" octobox and two reflectors

[​IMG]

A few notes:

- The two rectangle boxes are 30x60 and used to light the BG since the subject is 15 feet from the rear wall. I did not meter them but used my eyes and test shots to get the level I wanted.

- The bookend is white and not black. I was lazy and didn't want to change the color on the diagram.

- There was another white reflector parallel to the floor at lap level for fill.

- I edited the iris' to remove the reflections of the reflectors.

12. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Last one. The 8x10 for his resume.

[​IMG]

Check the Film Forum in a few days for the Portra 160NC images.

Next comes Astia :cool:

13. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Scott,
    Thanks for taking the time to map it out. Great stuff and the 8X10 is textbook for great headshot lighting. What were the lap level reflectors sitting on/mounted to?

14. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    I put it on a posing stool that sits just above the subjects lap and they can lean over it a bit. KMH had some sort of boom arm with a clamp that held his. Some day I might get industrious and make one for myself. It's just a sheet of foamcore that's about 30x40.