TinEye results

Le Bourg, St Julien d'Oddes, France. 42260.
Just had an interesting experience. Whilst playing on my computer I thought I would run a check of some of my pictures through TinEye.
On one of my images two results came up. At first glance they looked like my image but on closer examination there were very slight differences.
I don't know how TinEye works but it is obviously not that accurate.

This one is not mine.
5272887662_35dee1d8fa_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Burj Khalifa by 5DII, on Flickr

This one is.
8536267855_af397f80f8_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking up at the Burj Khalifa by Mikescuba, on Flickr

They look extremely similar..and when you add in the fact of how many images it checked through, it's pretty amazing.

I don't know how TinEye works but it is obviously not that accurate

Luckily most will recognize that you're joking here; it's amazing that TinEye manages to correctly match these images. Just because they're different images shouldn't mean that TinEye doesn't return this as a match.

There's two ways TinEye can work:

• Only an exact pixel-for-pixel match will yield a search result. Infringers only need to resize the image, crop one side with a few pixels, remove a copyright notice, or make another small change and it's no longer an exact match. And you'll never know through TinEye that they infringed because, hey, it's not an exact match.
  • Near matches will yield search results. Even when the image has been altered in more severe ways (rotated, cropped, etc) it will still yield a search result. Sure, you'll get some false positives like the example above. But the alternative is getting no matches.

That's actually a good thing because if someone took your photo and changed it slightly for an ad, you would still want to know that your copyright was being infringed.

I had the same thing happen - it was a photo from the British Museum where the shooter is confined to a small opening to shoot through so of course there are many, many similar images on the web. Gives you quite a startle at first, doesn't it!!

Sean

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Interesting. I have to disagree though, Mike, and say it's pretty darn accurate. Those two photos look A LOT alike.

I'd be happy that it is coming up with even very close false positives like that.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom