1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Tiny Frog (200 Micro)

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by gnagel, Nov 2, 2018.

1. The Nikon 200 f4 Micro lens is one of my favorites. It does an amazing job rendering backgrounds--super smooth.

Here's one that I captured last weekend at a photography conference. One of the presenters brought a few frogs and reptiles with him (surprisingly)--and I captured this milk frog peeking over the petal of the flower.

I wasn't expecting to shoot frogs during this conference, so I was ill prepared. ISO 2,500 was necessary given that I didn't think to bring strobes!

p3155715553-5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking...
    Glenn

• Like Like x 2
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Surprised you had your 200mm with you!!!! Hand held? Great pose and the flower frames the frog nicely. They usually don't sit still for more than a few seconds.

3. Thanks Karen...it was a macro photography conference and they had some shooting stations set up--mostly for flowers and some other miscellaneous objects like sea shells. Knowing that, I brought my 200 Micro and my 105 VR. But, I wasn't expecting frogs and reptiles!

Glenn

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    You did well to create such a nice image without using auxillary light.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wonderful photo.

I think too much is made of higher ISO values. If you had used strobes, the mood would have been different and, ironically, you might not have even gotten the shot.

6. Thanks Karen
    Thanks Mike...ISO 2500 is manageable. I couldn’t get much depth of field, but I think it worked well for this situation.

Glenn

7. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    It does look sharper there but not sure how much of that is down to the larger size.

8. Thanks for replying...the thing is that it is sharper than on the Cafe even when viewed at 100% on Lightroom.

Glenn

9. The sharpness looks the same to me, but I'm due for cataract surgeries and possibly cornea transplants.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I think most of this is a perception issue due to the viewing sizes.

There will almost certainly be some form of compression being applied to uploaded images here but these sorts of compression never really make any appreciable difference to image sharpness.

Your image here looks sharp enough and when I mentally "scale" it up to the size in the other site, It is about the same to me.

11. Sweet, like the composition. Love the size of the little guys toes in relation to his body.

12. That's a neat photo, Glenn, and I like the composition too. It might have helped to use a polarizer to remove the glare on the frog, but I'm not sure I would have thought about that either.

13. Thanks for commenting...this may not be an issue than. It could be that the different sizing is what tricked my eye.

Glenn

14. Thanks John
    Thanks Jim, a polarizer might have helped. I should have tried one, since I had one with me. But, any further loss of light might have presented an issue as well. Also, the little guy was really shiny...a bit wet and under some lights.

Glenn

15. All of the frog's surfaces are curved, so a polarizer would have eliminated only certain bits of glare. I doubt that a polarizer would have brought about any significant improvement.

16. Probably right. I had that experience photographing a car recently. Turning the polarizer at one angle eliminated the reflections from the side windows, but not the windshield; rotating it 90º did the opposite and also changed the color cast!

17. Great composition and DOF Glenn. And a cute frog...

18. Thanks again, Binnur

Glenn

19. This is a really terrific shot! He's cute and the flower makes a perfect location for shooting him -- something a bit different!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.