Tire shop damaged my truck, any advice???

Bill I know how you feel. I don't know how old your truck is but make sure they re paint the whole truck after a new door is put on as the color shades will never match.

"It is less than a year old" What kind of truck uses up a set of tires in a year? GH

"It is less than a year old" What kind of truck uses up a set of tires in a year? GH

SVT Raptor with a fun driver?

sorry i think you have some great advice on here, document the hell out of everything and start making the phone calls. dont be an ***, be polite, but firm.

I have a family member whose truck was damaged coming down off a lift after a tire/alignment service.The company whom was purley AT FAULT (Rhymes with Hall-Fart) worked with his insurer. You would think that they would man up adn do right by the customer- NOT. He got the Jeep fixed and 4 weeks of body shops and other issues. My advice, get a lawyer and only do business with super well trusted entities or a dealership. I got high end Good Years and Bridgestones at the same price as Costco, and TireRack at my GMC dealership.

As to changing tires with a year on a vehicle- I have done so too.... Crap factory tires upgraded to high end better ride/performance tires too. Same form a kit lense to a piece of fast glass. Same Body- differnt lense=better results...

It has about 19K miles on it and the OEM tires were showing not only significant wear but also every tread block was missing pieces or was torn off altogether, and the tires were cracking between the tread blocks. I use this truck to tow my ATV's, often for miles on dirt & gravel roads and that can be tough on cheap OEM tires.

I know, silly me, buy a pick up truck and use it like, well, a pick up truck :wink:

So the shop (without getting my approval) has hammered and yanked on the door enough for it to close. I think they did as much damage doing this as was done in the original accident :rolleyes: They and their corporate office asked that I take it for two estimates, which I did after taking this afternoon off work. Bottom line is about $2800. The body shops out here are backed up due to a hailstorm a couple weeks back, so depending on how much they want to screw around this could take several weeks to get fixed.

In the mean time they will pay for a rental as the door doesn't close properly and I'm not going to take a chance driving it around like that....

I'll be faxing the estimates to corporate tomorrow and will provides updates when I know how they want to proceed. Meanwhile I'm driving a wanna-be SUV rental and I probably won't get many desert landscape shots till this is taken care of :frown:

Be glad you got the wanna be SUV. When I got a loaner they gave me a mini van! Glad to hear things are working out with the truck.

I'd suggest throwing a fit. I would.

About 20 years ago, I bought a new Mustang GT. I loved the car, but the spring-loaded ash tray in the center console broke. I took it back to the dealer, where I was promised that it would be a 1-hour repair. Three hours later, I barged into the repair shop, only to find that they had not only removed the console, but most of the dash as well. Needless to say, I flipped my *****. I remember yelling a lot, kicking over a couple trash cans and getting in some guy's face. The service manager came out and convinced me to return to the showroom - where he bought me a Dr. Pepper and convinced me that the repair would be completed within an hour. 30 minutes later, I drove away - with my repair completed.

Being a former ASE Master tech working in a dealer environment, I would hazzard to guess that your rant not only did not speed the tech up, it probably slowed him down. It's tough to tell without more details, but sometimes repairs turn out to be a lot more complex than they initially appear. Would you rather the job done correctly, or quickly?

Tire shops are pretty low on the believability scale. You have several problems here. One, shoddy workmanship to begin with. You are going to have to get that sorted out and probably after the other parts are fixed. Two, you get the technicians you pay for. These kinds of shops sometimes hire wannbe techs and let them loose on their poor customers vehicles. That being said, anyone who leaves a door open when lifting or lowering a vehicle is overpaid. Their techs suck, so get another tire shop. Three, you might get more resistance from them than you want about getting a new door. The door wasn't "new" to begin with. It was a year old. It's probably best to let your insurance company deal with their insurance company. Call your insurance if you already haven't.
I really suggest you get a real good set of tires and return those tires to them. Ask for a full refund for all of the "work" they did.

As for tire shops, I can't help but giggle when they tell me "but these tires are made by Michelin anyway." I have worn out a LOT of tires in my lifetime and I won't drive on anything but Michelin anymore. MY life is worth it.

Get a working knowledge of the Law of Bailment. They are on the hook and you may need a lawyer. They are the Bailee and took the liability. They have insurance and its just tough for them.

I totally agree with getting your ins company involved. They are used to dealin with resistant claim payers.

Also, this probably differs per state, but there is (here) a clause that awards a "wreck depreciation" amount. If your car is damaged, you are also due the amount said damage causes your vehicle to depreciate. If you are selling two identical vehicles and one has had body work done, it is worth less. Sometimes significantly. The trick is you have to know to ask for the depreciation. Check with your insurance company or an attorney...

I can not understand why this thread is even here. Call your insurance co. Your insurance company will go after the stores insurance provider. The only thing I would insist on is the use of OEM parts in the repair, some many insurance companies insist on using after market, with a "if you don't like it, sue us attitude" What ever your insurance company does not cover for, then I sue the tire store.

Doesn't sound like you did your home work when picking the tire shop.

Thats what happens with OEM tires when you use a truck like a truck. Even with high end tires I get about 40k miles of towing and hauling full loads in the bed. 2 sets of expensive tires a year is getting old. Now considering going to semi-truck tires but 19.5 Alcoa rims aren't cheap either.:eek:

Behavior like this was more tolerable 20 years ago. Now it can land you on YouTube or in legal problems. There's no need to get highly emotional and lose control with customer service issues.

You are then perceived as an a@@hole instead of a customer with a legitimate complaint. Behavior like this says more about you than the company.

Oops.................... it appears that you took my tongue-in-cheek reply seriously.

I didn't anticipate that anyone would believe that an adult could actually agree with a recommendation which advised, in part: "..................yelling a lot, kicking over a couple trash cans and getting in some guy's face."

My sincere apology if I misled you.

Note to self: Stop kidding around on the Internet.

For all those who think the OP is going to get more than what he's entitled to:

The OP is entitled to get his truck back in "like new condition". NOT free tires for life, NOT a complete paint job, NOT free tires this time. It's sad that a lot of people think that a situation like this should be a licence to take advantage. Color matching paint is done very well now. OEM door is about as far as the OP can stretch this little boo boo and expect a rental vehicle as well (I would say a rental of the same type of vehicle if there's reason for it ie he requires his truck as a truck for work etc).

I had considered turning this over to my insurance but there are some significant downsides to that. First, I do not have rental car coverage, so any rental would be out of my pocket as my insurance would not cover it. Second, I have a $1000 deductible that I would have to pay and wait to be reimbursed. Third, I believe anything run through my insurance company will show up on a carfax report as an accident repair. Finally, why give them a reason to raise my rates? Not sure they would, but I'd rather not take the chance.

I spoke with the corporate office today and from the sound of it will have the go ahead for the repair in a day or two. With any luck I might be able to put this behind me by next weekend, which would be a good thing. Thanks you all for your suggestions & support, I really appreciate it!

If I had a vehicle that was a year old and some tire jockey busted it up, I'd be pi$$ed! That will show up on a carfax report as having been repaired. The paint most likely won't match and if they use body filler it will probably fall out in time. They should fix his truck and pay some cash to make up for the future loss of trade in value. I'd at least get the truck fixed then sell it. They are never the same after getting body work done...squeaks, rattles, miss-matched paint, etc. Can you say lawyer...

Sorry, read some comments demanding that the entire car be painted and I just had to post a counterpoint.

I have worked in the car business for many years and appraise vehicles as part of my job. I am a Sales Manager at a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Toronto. Any re-paint hurts the valuation of a vehicle but one panel is certainly better than two. Two is better than three...etc. If you go to a good body shop matching the paint will not be a problem. It might cost a little more but they can paint only what is necessary and have it match. Much worse would be to go to a poor body shop and have them paint the entire car poorly....so that it matches. This destroys the value of a car. It might look good from a distance but once you see overspray all over the place and orange peel everywhere you can pretty much deduct 10 to 20% from the value.

As an aside...they owe you more than the repair. They owe you for the likely difference in your re-sale value.

Latest threads

Top Bottom