Tired Of Waiting....time To Buy

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by urbanek2, Jul 18, 2007.

1. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Hi everyone:

Soccer season is here, and I need to purchase my first lens for my hopefully expanding lens collection. The problem is which one. I need help. Orginally, I planned on purchasing the 70-200vr with the Nikon 1.4 mutlplier. I felt this setup would give me the best overall usage, including soccer. Lens has been out of stock forever. Any other suggestions....

Dave

2. 300 f2.8 VR
    300 f4
    200f2 w/TC14 or TC17

3. You don't need the fast lenses for the "good" days, but for the cloudy/overcasr/stormy days.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    70-200VR is a very nice lens, also consider the optically similar Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 for a little more reach if you don't mind the weight and lack of VR.

5. Hi Dave

I don't know your budget and I assume you couldn't afford such expensive lenses. I think you could try for a Sigma 100-300 F4 + 1.4 tc; you would lose the VR (but during day it isn't that useful) but gain much more reach.
    Of course, a 120-300 F2.8 would be better but not always people have Scrooge's walet! ;)

6. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I too was feeling your frustration. All of the pro glass is sold out everywhere. Those that have it are gouging. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. just pulled the trigger on an 18-200 VR and a 70-200 VR. I found them both in stock and the price was surprisingly good from Sammy's Camera. I know nothing about this company but their reviews were good and they seem reputable. I hope the market settles down so the prices and the demand become more reasonable.

7. For what it's worth. As much as I would love to have the 200-400 or the 300 2.8 VR; I can't really justify the expense. I have bot the 80-400 VR and the 70-200 VR. Lately I have been using the 70-200 VR with the 1.4 almost exclusively and love the results. I don't know what your camera is but with the D200 I find the focus to be lightning fast and I can crop the shot if I need too and still not loose the detail. If you can't find new - then keep checking here orthe Nikonians. There always seem to be one for sale. It just won't be miine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.