Tired Of Waiting....time To Buy

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by urbanek2, Jul 18, 2007.

1. urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Hi everyone:

Soccer season is here, and I need to purchase my first lens for my hopefully expanding lens collection. The problem is which one. I need help. Orginally, I planned on purchasing the 70-200vr with the Nikon 1.4 mutlplier. I felt this setup would give me the best overall usage, including soccer. Lens has been out of stock forever. Any other suggestions....

2. 300 f2.8 VR
    300 f4
    200f2 w/TC14 or TC17
  3. You don't need the fast lenses for the "good" days, but for the cloudy/overcasr/stormy days.
  4. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    70-200VR is a very nice lens, also consider the optically similar Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 for a little more reach if you don't mind the weight and lack of VR.
  5. Hi Dave

I don't know your budget and I assume you couldn't afford such expensive lenses. I think you could try for a Sigma 100-300 F4 + 1.4 tc; you would lose the VR (but during day it isn't that useful) but gain much more reach.
    Of course, a 120-300 F2.8 would be better but not always people have Scrooge's walet! ;)
  6. RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I too was feeling your frustration. All of the pro glass is sold out everywhere. Those that have it are gouging. I guess it's a matter of supply and demand. just pulled the trigger on an 18-200 VR and a 70-200 VR. I found them both in stock and the price was surprisingly good from Sammy's Camera. I know nothing about this company but their reviews were good and they seem reputable. I hope the market settles down so the prices and the demand become more reasonable.
  7. For what it's worth. As much as I would love to have the 200-400 or the 300 2.8 VR; I can't really justify the expense. I have bot the 80-400 VR and the 70-200 VR. Lately I have been using the 70-200 VR with the 1.4 almost exclusively and love the results. I don't know what your camera is but with the D200 I find the focus to be lightning fast and I can crop the shot if I need too and still not loose the detail. If you can't find new - then keep checking here orthe Nikonians. There always seem to be one for sale. It just won't be miine.