To big to flip.....But..

Discussion in 'Birds' started by andreasb, Oct 14, 2005.

1. But not to big to swallow somehow - or - should I say,

Your'e not going to believe this part II (Flew had a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago...)

I went to San Diego over the weekend for a friends wedding (I was Best Man and Photographer combined...) and took the opportunity to go to Bolsa Chica on MOnday and among many nice shots this is what I got (self explanatory I think. All with the D2X and the 500mm AF-S I F4, most at F8
    50717848. 50717849.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Image?

3. Sorry Frank I hit enter before I entered the images but they are up now!

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Wow another big eater :biggrin:

what no lemon or tartar sauce :confused: :wink:

neat series, thanks I feel full now :biggrin:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Holey smokes...
    Think you got Frank and I beat on this one.
    What a PIG...

Great shots.

6. Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppppppp! oops

Nice sequence Andreas!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OMG!!

That one is bigger than the one that I saw. Incredible!! :eek:

So what were you thinking when you saw this series. Must have been a rush. :biggrin:

8. Well from the pictures they looked to be about the same size, both where to big in my opinion :)

It was kind of surreal really. I had spent all morning trying to get good shots at Bolsa Chica ( the rest are up on my Pbase http://www.pbase.com/andreasb/bolsa_chica_october_10_2005&page=all ) and was pretty tired, getting ready to go back to San Diego, but there was another BGH right there so I stopped and set the rig up. As I was trying to get closer slowly suddenly it stabbed this fish several times while I was moving closer and closer. When he held the fish I took several steps closer, until i had a good full frame to compose my shots within. I figured he didn't want to let go of the meal :) Then came the sequenze you see in the post.

Afterwards he was quite disturbed and wanted to get away, but couldnt fly, so I let him be, and backed off.

I figured he had earned his lunch!

9. Simply Amazing :eek:

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  10. Andreas, these are simply amazing shots. I don't know how he managed to get the fish down but you sure captured the moment perfectly.

It was sure a pleasure to shoot and talk with you last Saturday morning. How did you wood ducks and kingfisher come out? I printed a couple of my wood ducks and was quite happy. Also I got a couple replacement caps now and so remind me to give you yours back. Thanks again.

Jim Thiel

11. THanks Jim, it was pretty amazing to watch it. My wood ducks came out a bit blurry, i should have gone up in ISO I guess, trying to get the best, The ones sitting faraway on the wood pole came out great.

So I'm heading down again on Monday do you want to borrow the Colorplus calibration tool from me for three weeks while i'm in Sweden? If so send me an email.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous series. Those herons are amazing with their ability to swalow large prey.

13. It is totally amazing what a GBH can swallow - this is the largest I have ever seen. Have a good trip to Sweden.

14. Thanks, I will see you when i get back, I will not be posting from Sweden we are on dial up on the farm :-(

When I get back it is Eagle time!