To find a misplaced memory card...

I tell my wife that I never lose anything; I only misplace stuff. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Sure enough, today I sat down in my favorite reading chair to peruse my favorite cookbook. After no more than two minutes of flipping through the pages, a memory card that had been missing 10 months fell out of the cookbook onto my lap. (I had post-processed and cataloged the images before the memory card had gone missing.) I had used this cookbook at least ten times since misplacing the memory card.

I reminded my wife that I had told her long ago that we would eventually find the missing card. Neither telling her the first time nor reminding her about that upon finding the card did anything helpful about returning me to her good graces.

I can imagine a few scenarios in which the memory card might have found its way into the cookbook and none of them make me look very good. :eek:

Feel free to add your stories about misplacing anything: how you found them, how long it took to find them, anything interesting relating to the missing stuff.

Last edited:
When I first started using SD cards, a few years ago, I "lost" one. After I had turned the house upside down in my search and uttered more than my share of expletives, I "found" it - - - in the camera! :oops::notworthy:

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I "misplace" a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses in Newport, Rhode Island. I ended up going to the sunglasses shop there and buying new ones. Those first pair are still "misplaced" somewhere in Newport!

I always find missing stuff in the last place I look. If only I could start with the last place.....sigh.....

I think more than once I've looked for my eyeglasses only to realize that I was wearing them.

But on a less embarrassing note, several winters ago my son lost his cell phone, so after we gave up looking for it we reactivated an older phone for him. This happened during the winter. Fast forward to early spring when all the snow melted and there was his phone sitting right on the front lawn. It had been underneath several inches of snow for a few weeks. We opened it up to let it dry out and it worked fine when we powered it up.

I think more than once I've looked for my eyeglasses only to realize that I was wearing them.
Been there and done that so often that I'm actually (not proud to be) an expert.

my son lost his cell phone
I wonder if you know that you can use Google to ring a phone and/or to show using GPS data where it is located. I've also used that several times, in each case to find my phone in my relatively small home.

Can you elaborate on how to get the GPS data?
I probably used a wrong phrase; it doesn't display the longitude and latitude coordinates, if that's what you are thinking, but it's using GPS data to display a map indicating the approximate location of the phone.

As an example, I couldn't find my phone anywhere despite that Google was ringing it for me. So, I then used Google to display the phone's location, thinking that perhaps I had left it at a store. Google displayed a map indicating that the phone was at my house. I realized I hadn't looked on my deck and, sure enough, that's where it was.

Another example: My wife was in charge of "Lost and Found" at a charity event when someone turned in a lost phone. My wife took the phone home with her. The owner of the phone used Google to determine that the phone was at our house and later that afternoon showed up to retrieve it.

If that doesn't provide enough information, please let me know.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
This assumes you have a computer and are logged into Google (for example to use gmail).
It assumes that you have an Android phone and that you have a Google account and the phone has that account.
It assumes that the phone has not been turned off and then moved.
It assumes that GPS has not been turned off on the phone.
And it assumes you have not used various settings on the phone to stop Google knowing where you are.

Given all that, all you do is go to your computer and type into Google "find phone location".

Or this might help:
3 Ways to Find a Stolen Android Phone - wikiHow

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom