To frame, or not to frame?

Which do you prefer for web display? With or without a frame. I typically put a basic matte and frame around mine but am considering changing that style. Maybe just a white border like it just came off my printer. Some say frames distract the eye from the center of intrest, while others say it helps seperate it.

Thoughts?

K

Ken-L

I prefer mine without a frame.

I prefer others work without one too, but that's up to them!

Real Name
Chris
I'm a no-frame fan Charles. Sometimes though, a photo works best if given a rectangle to work within, then I will make a frame, but always as simple as I can get. I used to go for an elaborate 'Fotoecken' look:

binocularonpier.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But, as you can see, the frame is then dependant on the background. So now I usually go for 1) no frame, 2) 1 pixel black frame or in the extreme, 3) a medium wide (50-100 pixel) gray matte.

So you would like this.....

21213874-L.jpg

Over this?

21213852-L.jpg

Real Name
Chris
Yes. I look more at the flower in the first one because 1) it's slightly bigger and 2) the frame's edges and shadow give the impression the picture continues out of the bounds. My eyes tend to wander out onto the matte to look at the corners.

Charles,

Heck, I like them both. I put a simple frame around my shots. Not quite as fancy as yours but about the same relative size.

Very nice picture BTW. 8)

Chris,

Do you have any pictures hanging on walls with frames? LOL
I do see what you are saying and your not the first to tell me that.

Frank,

I thought that was a simple frame. Thanks for the comment. That red channel makes it tough to capture flowers sometimes.

Frames

I am fairly new to the "tricks" of post processing with didtal photography and was wondering how and where you go to get these frames? I have a few sets of photos that I would like to try this with.

Thanx in advance

Steve, when I opened it up it just took me to PS 7.0. I have used very few of the tools there. When I Opened up the Buds Frames, was there something else supposed to happen?

Please forgive my Newbie-ness! LOL

Real Name
Chris
Hiya Sam,

Download the 'Buds Frames" file, right, then don't click on it, but rather stash it into a folder inside the Photoshop folder: Adobe Photoshop 7.0>Presets>Photoshop Actions Then, in Photoshop, open up the 'Actions Palette'. You will see a list of actions, including "Bud's Frames". Select 'Bud's Frames' from the list and it appears in the palette (it'll be open, and there are a lot of them!)

I'll leave it to you to figure them out, or you might want to send a private message to our new member Bud Guinn, because he's the guy who made those actions.

Real Name
Chris
I just ran one of the frame actions, it's pretty straight forward. Just open the photo you want to frame, then select the frame you want to try from the list in the Actions palette. Press the arrow at the bottom of the palette and the action takes over. They do stop for your input in places, so don't start a group of 50 photos and leave! ;)

Have fun, these might turn me into a framer! Thanks for the question Sam, pointer Steve and actions Bud!

I like virtual frames, on a selective shot basis, but find many frames distract from the picture. I finally designed a single custom frame, created an action for it, and use it exclusively. The action includes my signature. I call it my "omni-shadow" frame.

26767671.gif

kccheers said:
Well, I gotta link!
Now, How do I make the image appear instead of the link?

(ain't she purdy!)

She's beautiful, you lucky dog :lol:.

I can't figure out how to insert that picture. I think that site may not be set up for it.

Currently I don't use an outside hosting service, so I just uploaded it on another forum where they can do that. Maybe with Pbase, etc, I would be able to load the photo directly?

What are some quality hosting services that I can check out?

Thanx again for all the help!

Cheers from KC

Latest threads

Top Bottom