To HTML or not to HTML? Flash and HTML or just Flash...

Should I add HTML galleries as a suppliment to my flash galleries?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Another website poll!

My gallery pages are setup using a flash gallery. It has a very nice option to be viewed in full screen without leaving the page or opening a new window (simply hit escape to exit).

Anyway, most people now-a-days have flash installed on their computers. Should I create separate HTML pages that contain my galleries in case people can't/won't install Flash or just leave it at Flash and let them loose out on the awesomeness of my galleries?

I voted yes because I usually skip the flash popups when I see a photographers website and go straight to their galleries.

HTML: open standard, fast, can be edited with edlin (or notepad if you're a wuss) and can be indexed by google. Disclosure: I'm biassed. I just really like the simplicity of HTML and the fact that I can automate the generation of HTML galleries myself.

Flash: not. On the other hand, flash is flash, no matter where you open it. HTML on the other hand is like a box of chocolates, depending on opening it in IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. (Yes. You may not like IE. But as long as 80% or more of the world is still using it you really want to have your pages look good inside IE)

Depending on what you want you should choose. People can link to HTML and they cannot to Flash, that seems to be one of the biggest factors in choosing one over the other (depending on you preferences).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
HTML with the option to see the full size (or at least a large) image, of a particular photo you are interested in, is ideal.

So many Flash sites have little or medium size pictures which don't fill a decent sized screen and just can't do justice to the photos. Then you can't click them to get a bigger photo.

if you do decide to go the HTML route I suggest you check out gallery2. It uses java script to generate a slide show plus is really customizable, especially if you understand HTML/CSS.

Ive went back and worth on this also and just ended up using smugmug. You can see mine here: ramseyleonard.com still needs some work...

I like HTML and, see a ton of Flash out there as it is. I know I personally prefer sites that let you go to HTML.

Hmm...I don't think I made myself clear in my OP. It's just a flash gallery embedded into a HTML page. The whole site is NOT flash.

Latest threads

Top Bottom