To me D3/D700 Pics dont look the same, or am i going nuts?

After looking at many D3/D700 posts, i feel that pics taken with the D700 don't look like anything taken with a D3, is it me? or am i going nuts? What do guys think? if any owners of both the D3/700 would be kind and post side by side pics of the same subject, i would really appreciate it. i just cant get myself to buy the D700 yet.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
William Beem
I'd be interested in viewing some comparisons, also. Do you have any specific comments about one vs. the other? What's different?

N

Nuteshack

After looking at many D3/D700 posts, i feel that pics taken with the D700 don't look like anything taken with a D3, is it me? or am i going nuts? What do guys think? if any owners of both the D3/700 would be kind and post side by side pics of the same subject, i would really appreciate it. i just cant get myself to buy the D700 yet.

Thanks

u just haven't seen ENOUGH images from the d700 yet:wink:

I can speak in favor of the D700 but I have never used a D3. Indeed, owners of these two cameras are delighted with them.
Both cameras share the same processing engine and the same sensor. I cannot believe the images are different. The images I shot with the D700 were super sharp and I commented already in other posts that my 24-85 lens used with the D700 performed like I have never seen it before. When used with the 24-70 we go one step higher in quality showing lots of detail with razor sharp images.
I know we are all different but at a John Shaw workshop in Orlando I saw many 16x20 prints from the many different cameras John has used over the years including his now gone D2X. I was one of the majority of people there that could not identify which camera took which picture. I was able to recognize a shot from the F3 because I had seen the picture previously in one of his books.
I own three cameras, the D1X, the D2H and the D70s. Many times I can see a difference in the colors of the RAW files that come from the D1X compared to the others and say that those colors are better than what the other cameras record but still it requires a critical eye to see the differences.
The D700 is a superb tool and if you need one and do not want to wait, go ahead and get one. I bet you will never regret it.
William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Never shot with the D700 but some people are saying that it is sharper than the D3.

It's quite ok, but sharper? Not that I could attribute to the bodies (Have both D3/D700).
D700, 300mm, f2, @ midnight - To assess sharpness: Look at full resolution JPEG
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

regards,
Andy

Thanks

Correct, the D700 pics are not identical to the D3. The D700 display more artefacts at high ISO than the D3 (See the horizontal white line in the D700 pic). It doesn't matter in real pictures though.

Example:
D700, ISO 6400
original.gif

D3, ISO 6400
View attachment 234624

Don't get me wrong, the D700 is a great camera :smile: (as is the D3)

Andy

wow i see banding and flare artifacts on the D700 that is not there on the D3. it also seems to make your a bit lenses longer than on the D3.

Wow Andy thats a great shot! what was the ISO on it?

ISO 200

Here is the same pic with ISO 6400 - Full resolution JPEG
original.gif

More pics from my first night with the D700. http://www.pbase.com/andrease/d700 Pics are not that creative, it was a short trip to check the "banding" issue with my D700. Look at the EXIF data for more info. Verdict: Not an issue, I keep the camera :smile:

regards,
Andy

wow i see banding and flare artifacts on the D700 that is not there on the D3. it also seems to make your a bit lenses longer than on the D3.

The different focal length was my mistake - it's not a camera issue.

This "banding" issue and the discussion got me irritated. After these test pics I was about to return the D700. Decided to walk a bit with the D700 in the night to see the real implications. None relevant (to me), so I keep this great camera :smile:

Some more night shots with varying ISO settings - http://www.pbase.com/andrease/d700

Andy

If you want to get sharp pics with the D700 (and the D3) take the AFS 60/2.8 Micro - this lens is sharp on FX Bodies :)

As this is my only D700 pic with this lens, I apologize upfront for the boring subject. It's a truck trailer hitch. Taken with D700, SB-900 and AFS 60mm/2.8 micro - Look at the full size JPEG to check for sharpness http://www.pbase.com/andrease/image/101215414/original.jpg

original.gif

BTW, the new flash (SB-900) is a marvel.

Andy

Whats strange is that 6400 image of the train barely shows any banding if any and on your studio shot it fairly clear. Not a big deal though!

Pardon me asking, what is that lens 300 f/2, I wasn't aware of it's existence?

Thanks for posting,

Vlad

Never shot with the D700 but some people are saying that it is sharper than the D3.

This seems to stem from an early shot (with no comparison shot taken with a D3) where someone speculated that the D700 might have a weaker AA filter than the D3. It appears to have no basis outside of a suggestion.

I've got both and there's no obvious difference in raw files that I can see.

Latest threads

Top Bottom