to repair or not repair...

Argh!! I have a fairly old 80-400 lens, the Nikon repair estimate says 1996. I sent it in because the zoom ring sticks, and I don't use it because of that...

I'm going to need a lens with this reach this summer. The repair estimate came back at just under $600. Ouch.

This is a lens I purchased a couple years used for $800. So, purchase price plus repair cost puts me at $1,400. New ones go for around $1,600.

I'm looking for advice. With a lens of this age, do you think its worth repairing? Or do you think I should put the money towards a new lens?

I've never had a lens repaired before, so thus the hesitation. Any and all thoughts are appreciated! TIA!

K.

El Segundo just rebuilt mine for $432 - the zoom ring was completely locked up and they classified it as a B2 repair and replaced some other dinged up parts of it. Seems like the price should be lower on yours unless they found other stuff to fiddle with. I can show you my invoice if you want to compare with their estimate notes.

Sean

Thinking about it in a different way...after it is repaired, what should my expectations be about it's condition and future longevity (assuming proper care)?

Too bad it's a C.

Mine came back working better than ever before so for me it made sense to repair (and it's also a business expense). If you were to buy another used one, it might be in for a repair of its own after a short period of time, too.

Sean

Have you considered an independent repair station? Nikon prices are high!
Here in Miami we have an authorized repair station called Southern Photo Technical Services. The technicians are trained by Nikon and during my last visit there one of the technicians had just return from training on the D7000.
My D2H had a CD card door in need of replacement along with the viewing screen by the mirror box. Both were replaced, the camera checked for alignment, meter checked and shutter speeds checked, all working to specs. Then the updated software was downloaded and the camera cleaned. Total was $120 including tax. I was given a 6 months warranty on the repairs.
I would not be surprised if you can get your lens repaired for a reasonable price using an independent repair station.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I sold my copy about six months ago. It was lightly used and did not have a scratch on it. It sold for $725. $800 is pretty much the asking price around here. Have you thought about selling the lens? You could probably get $400 even after disclosing the problem. Take that and the $600 repair cost and put it toward a 70-200VRI and 1.7TC used. GH

Have you considered an independent repair station? Nikon prices are high!
Here in Miami we have an authorized repair station called Southern Photo Technical Services. The technicians are trained by Nikon and during my last visit there one of the technicians had just return from training on the D7000.
My D2H had a CD card door in need of replacement along with the viewing screen by the mirror box. Both were replaced, the camera checked for alignment, meter checked and shutter speeds checked, all working to specs. Then the updated software was downloaded and the camera cleaned. Total was $120 including tax. I was given a 6 months warranty on the repairs.
I would not be surprised if you can get your lens repaired for a reasonable price using an independent repair station.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I'd also try these guys out. They fixed a lens mount issue on a grey market lens I had and it came back perfect. Nikon would of charged $400+ for the repair...well if it was a USA lens, grey market they won't even touch!

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

This is a lens I purchased a couple years used for $800. So, purchase price plus repair cost puts me at $1,400. New ones go for around $1,600.

I sympathize, and this is not what you asked, but the above seems not the right way to look at it.

You paid $800. Seems a bargain, but that is history now.

The question now (and the only choice, regardless if you had bought it new, or used for $800) is:
Spending $600 for repair, or $1400 for a new one. That is an $800 difference (out of your pocket now) (ignoring any new warranty).

The $1400 number is not a factor to be evaluated. The repair from Nikon will likely be like new. It seems that another bargain is available to you. :smile:

Send it to KEH.com to get a second opinion. If repair estimate is still too high, then I agree with the others: sell it. Throw it on Ebay with a good description and start the bidding at $1.00. Anything you get out of it is better than nothing and you might be surprised what it sells for.

I sympathize, and this is not what you asked, but the above seems not the right way to look at it.

You paid $800. Seems a bargain, but that is history now.

The question now (and the only choice, regardless if you had bought it new, or used for $800) is:
Spending $600 for repair, or $1400 for a new one. That is an $800 difference (out of your pocket now) (ignoring any new warranty).

The $1400 number is not a factor to be evaluated. The repair from Nikon will likely be like new. It seems that another bargain is available to you. :smile:

You keep injecting logic and reason into these discussions, Wayne. Sheesh, what a party pooper..... :rolleyes:

Kay, you posted your query in the wrong forum. The NAS enablers are over in the Lens Lust forum.

FWIW, I agree with Wayne. If you need the capabilities of this particular lens, fixing it seems like the smart thing to do.

If you don't repair it, you are out $800.

If you repair it for $600, and sell it for $800, then you have only lost $600.

Losing $600 seems better than losing $800.

Or maybe, sell it as is for around $200, and let someone else deal with the repairs. :smile:

BTW, 1996 is the product number for the lens, not the age. I believe that lens was released around 2001.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom