1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

To TC or not to TC - this is the question!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Going to the Atlantic City Air Show on the 15th Aug & will be spending the day on the beach & would appreciate any advice from people who have been before.

Am intending to take the D200 & the 70-200VR with me, probably with the TC 14 attached.

Being at the beach I don't want to be changing lenses / or trying to take the TC off

So the question is - which is the most useful range - 70-200 or 98-280 (before it goes on the D200)

Am I likely to need anything wider than the 98? - how low do the planes fly?

Thanks

2. Use it. Last airshow I shot I used a 200mm, 300mm, and 400mm.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Agree use it
    Think I averaged about 300

4. adaml

adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    chicago
    I attended the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh, Wisconsin over the weekend with my 70-200VR and my new TC-17e II. When I was there last year with my 80-400VR I had some autofocus problems, so this year I decided to try going the teleconverter route.

The weather was great, so I was able to shoot at f/8 and above and still have fairly high shutter speeds (1/500 mostly) at ISO 100 with my D200. With the 70-200 autofocus was quick and easy. I got home late last night, so I only did a quick run through of my images, but I have to say that preliminarily I'm very pleased with the quality of the images, especially since I have so many more images where I have a clear shot of the aircraft, and not just a blurred tail!

I think you should have a great shoot, just build up your arm muscles first!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.