To TC or not to TC - this is the question!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Going to the Atlantic City Air Show on the 15th Aug & will be spending the day on the beach & would appreciate any advice from people who have been before.

Am intending to take the D200 & the 70-200VR with me, probably with the TC 14 attached.

Being at the beach I don't want to be changing lenses / or trying to take the TC off

So the question is - which is the most useful range - 70-200 or 98-280 (before it goes on the D200)

Am I likely to need anything wider than the 98? - how low do the planes fly?

2. Use it. Last airshow I shot I used a 200mm, 300mm, and 400mm.
  3. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Agree use it
    Think I averaged about 300
  4. adaml

Feb 21, 2006
    I attended the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh, Wisconsin over the weekend with my 70-200VR and my new TC-17e II. When I was there last year with my 80-400VR I had some autofocus problems, so this year I decided to try going the teleconverter route.

The weather was great, so I was able to shoot at f/8 and above and still have fairly high shutter speeds (1/500 mostly) at ISO 100 with my D200. With the 70-200 autofocus was quick and easy. I got home late last night, so I only did a quick run through of my images, but I have to say that preliminarily I'm very pleased with the quality of the images, especially since I have so many more images where I have a clear shot of the aircraft, and not just a blurred tail!

I think you should have a great shoot, just build up your arm muscles first!