To the UK based Photographers...How do you...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TerribleTwins, Jul 5, 2007.

1. get your gear out of the UK safely when travelling?

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but would appreciate any advice on how you get your camera & lenses out of the UK when flying - given the current carryon restrictions (56 X 45 x 25 cm or 22 x 17 x 10 in)?

My primary concern is not damage - one could pack it safely in a pelican case etc - it is whether the bag would even make it to the plane before it disappeared & the kit was for sale on ebay before the plane took off.

Most of the time - being USA based this is not an issue as I can take the gear as carry-on & take it anywhere in the world - the problem is having got to the UK - how do I get it out?

Thought's comments appreciated.

2. I am not sure that the issue is very much different where ever you are from - all this kit is a real pain to lug about! As I like to have a laptop, book, tickets, lunch etc I got myself a compuday pack - got it from the US last time I was there as it was around a THIRD of the price that it was here. Not sure that the padding is quite good enough, but works with care.

3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    I take my cameras as carry on. Most of what I take will fit in my Lowepro Slingshot 200 which is well below max hand luggage size.

How much stuff do you need to carry?

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Theft from airline luggage was a big problem, until there were several high visibility prosecutions of baggage workers who were stealing from customers. Long prison sentences and background checking seems to have slowed the rate of stealing down a bit, but taking it on the plane with you still seems to be the best solution.

5. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Worry.
    Especially since (at least UK) airlines refuse to take responsibility for anything once it's on the conveyor belt and I have yet to find an insurance company which covers cameras in airline checked luggage.
    Now I'm not saying that everyone doses but with the extra security, the baggage handlers scan them, see expensive cameras/lenses, move them to one side 'for further inspection' and hey presto. You end up at you destination without a bag. Airlines won't help and by the time the police are involved the bag is off the airport.
    When the UK did their knee-jerk security reaction all passengers carrying 2 or more bags had to lose them to the system. Reports of thousands of 'lost' laptops appeared after a few weeks.

6. I have never figured this out - you hand something over to the airline - you are paying them to transport & look after it & when one of their employees (baggage handlers) nicks it, suddenly we are responsible!!!

Also stateside, one is not allowed to lock checked luggage as the TSA guys always want to look in it - not sure what the current rules are in the UK as I haven't flown from there recently - last time I was in the UK - got the Eurostar to france & then flew home

7. too much!!

main problem is I don't get back often & so when I do - I try bring most of the gear to get pictures of the family.

If I am paying my own way then my Lowepro mini trekker AW should fit the bill, but when I'm on business - have to factor in the lap top & then it doesn't work.

May need to rethink things!

8. In the USA & rest or world, I can ususally fit my camera bag (Lowepro Mini trekker) & computer etc in a "standard" size carry on suitcase with wheels & this works a treat - until you get to the UK & then the bag is too big to meet the security requirements.

9. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    You get 6KG of carry on baggage, 8KG if you're in upper class. Just enough for my Crumper Loyal Chap bag with my kit and a few other bits and bobs. How big is your wheeler suitcase? Most are still small enough, its just the bigger ones that aren't.

I've insured through Photoguard which covers all damage to my equipment including loss and theft on aircraft.

10. I used a Lowepro Computrekker AW to go from the UK to Canada last year without any problems. It's the same size (I think) as your Minitrekker but with a slot for a laptop built in to the part that goes against your back (so it may be slightly thicker than the Minitrekker).

I'll have a similar problem in August when I have to go to Japan on business and will probably want to take the D200 or D70. :(

Ronnie

11. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Jan 17, 2007
    Sale, UK
    56 X 45 x 25 cm is now the standard international carry on luggage size, it doesn't just apply on flights to the UK. It is also mandatory on international flights between a large number of countries to carry any liquids in a clear plastic bag (20x20cm) and each bottle must be no larger than 100ml. As far as I know it is only domestic US flights that allow larger hand luggage.

When I flew to New Zealand in March/April, I used a Crumpler The Formal Lounge backpack to carry my D80, 3 lenses and my Sony laptop. I packed my normal camera bag (Crumpler Ben's Pizza XXL) inside my checked in luggage, filling it with socks etc.

12. I carry a CompuTrekker Plus AW everywhere in the world apart from the UK...
    [​IMG]

...where I have to carry a Mini Trekker AW...
    [​IMG]

13. crate

crate

Mar 14, 2007
    Spain
    Painful stuff!
    I tote a D200, D80, 70-200, 17-55 plus an Apple Macbook Pro with me all the time (plus a whole load of other non photo gear). I tuck it all in a Delsey carry on bag which has wheels and a pull out handle. This allows me to comply with my insurance requirements, comply with all the necessary airport requirements and not break my back. For me, not a bad solution.
    By the way, I travel UK internal, offshore choppers and international long haul and find my method livable with.

RF