Today at Jamaica Bay, NY

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DiverX, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Got up early and went to Jamaica Bay this morning for sunrise. The bugs were hungry so at 10am I left just when it was getting really HOT. There were shot with the D2x and the 500mm AF-S the last 3 I added a x1.7 converter to the 500. Flash used on the 1st shot the sun was behind the trees, no flash on the rest. Crawling in the mud and goose droppings at 6am is a little nuts! :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. beautiful shots george. I grew up in the Lindenwood section of Howard Beach, and when a kid would go to JBWR before Gateway took over.

Great shots, esp the bottom one with the reflection.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah George, but was it ever worth it. These are awesome. The bird fight shot is amazing. You must have been pretty pleased when you saw that one on your screen. 8)

Guess I need to get off my butt and do a little early shooting every now and then. :roll:

4. George these are all nice but I especially like the first one with the reflection and all. Very nice. For me, it was worth it that you had to crawl in goose poop! ;)

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Marvelous shots George especially that second one. I sued to shoot in Gateway Park efore I left NYC but my shots were never that good.

6. That is an outstanding series of images.

Great job.

Russ

7. That is an outstanding series of images.

Great job.

Russ

8. Hey thanks guys! I see we have a couple old NY'ers! :D

Frank I was pretty happy with that one! Only thing was a couple others were too soft but better one than none! 8)

Jamaica Bay can be just an awesome place for birds but you really have to pay your dues for the shots. :roll: Lots of crawling in the mud so you need full waders and a ground pod for your camera so you can stay LOW! Bring low in Jamaica Bay means you are up close and personal with the goose droppigs....ugh!!!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    George,

All those images are just marvelous. Good job.

10. Very nice George!

Anthony

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Never a disappointment from you George!

You keep hitting homerun after homerun! Shots 2 & 3 are killer good, as are the rest. Tell me about this technique now. You do walk upright with your rig to a spot then once set up, you're down in the mud & goose poop? Do you move around much once set up? It's hard to picture how you get into position for these magnificent shots.

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Amazing shots, George! Definitely worth the extra effort (and goose poop encounter) to get them!

13. Exceptional images George. They don't come better than this. I would hang any one of them on my wall. Way to go.

14. Thanks a million everyone! :oops:

I have company so I have to run. Steve, actually sometimes you have to crawl along the ground to get where you want. If you stay low the birds basically are not frightened as much as they are as when you stand upright. So you walk part way, then get on your knees partway but once you see them starting to move it's because they are getting nervous at your presence. Then you get in the prone position on your stomach and crawl up like you see them do in boot camp when they crawl under the barbed wire. Your camera is on a ground pod of some type either home made or store bought. The ground pod holds your ball bead and you put your camera on top as you would normally and you can push it along when you need to...(also your camera is VERY low to the ground). In my case I put mine on a Wimberley Head just like normal. I use this;

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/product.php?productid=41

Actually today I was with the guy who invented the Skimmer! :D I hope no one thinks I am pushing this, I am not even though I would recommend it in a flash. I am just trying to show you what it all looks like!

Gotta run or I will get my head handed to me by my 5'3" wife (I am 6'3"). :lol:

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

1st and 2nd shot are just awesome !!!

16. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    So, that's how you do it!

Thanks for the detailed explanation, George. That Skimmer certainly is an interesting piece of equipment, and definitely a worthy addition to the equip bag. Can it be used well without a ballhead or full Wimberley, say, with the optional QR plate? Do you detach your full Wimberley from your main pod for use on this Skimmer, then return it when finished? If so, is that much of a bother? What about a ballhead/Sidekick combo, would that work with a Skimmer too? Or is ballhead alone a better choice? Reason for asking, is that I have a spare ballhead/Sidekick combo that's currently mounted on a monopod, and not getting used much.
    ok, now that I'm actually able to envision you doing your "army crawl" in the muck with your waders on, my next question is what, if anything, do you where on your arms to protect them? Sorry for so many questions!

17. Ballhead/Sidekick works perfectly! I detach my Wimberley from my tripod and use that OR you can just use the QR plate but that limits you in movement.

I wear elbow pads over a long sleeve T-Shirt! No problem with the questions! Well the only problem is I amleaving right now for Maryland to visit relatives, back next week! :)

Thanks again all!!

18. Beautiful series , nicely done!!!