Today at Juanita Osprey and Green Heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Sep 3, 2005.

1. I met a friend and fellow D2X user this morning at Juanita Park. It was pretty slow and just after Paul had to go the place got busy. I heard a noise that was pretty familiar to me by now. It was the call of the osprey. I looked up and there were two and then three and then four!!! Just when I thought they had all left for the year. It turned out to be so much fun watching these guys for maybe the last time of the year that I almost did not remember to go to work. The light was not very good but I won't complain. I cranked the ISO up to 560 or 800 depending on the light. The last one was the green heron that came in after the osprey left. I hope to not bore you with more osprey but these were pretty cool to watch.

original.

View attachment 14927

View attachment 14928

View attachment 14929

View attachment 14930

View attachment 14931

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Bore me some more please.. :biggrin:

Wow that first photo is wonderful.

3. Jim, I like them all but the first one is amazing. The talons on the Osprey are something to behold. I wouldn't want that bird mad at me that's for sure. Nice images.

4. Thanks Dave and Gordon. Yes the first one was my favorite as well. Mostly because the sun came out for a brief moment for that one so there was some blue sky. The action was great while it lasted. Thanks for looking.

5. First two are incredible shot James, beautifully done. Looks like a painting.........man I would have called in sick. LOL...........or would have been tempted. :wink:

6. Thanks Keith. I sure do know what you mean about calling in sick. I came close to not going in to work but just had to. Our weather is not great now but that first shot was one of only a couple that the sun broke out. Sure does make a difference.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Just awesome shots Jim. I'd give my left, uh....well you get the idea. :biggrin:

8. Frank no osprey is worth that :eek: I was lucky as I am pretty sure they will be gone soon and I figure this was my last fling with them but who knows.

Besides it looks to me like you had an awesome time with the gang this weekend. Thanks for looking..

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

We had a great trip, but these are unusually good shots. Not just the images themselves, but the action that you were able to capture is just exemplary. I'd love to have a few like that first one. :wink:

10. Jim, I can tell you that this was sure more interesting than watching the crowd of people who were watching the 700 lb Sow giving birth at the Evergreen State Fair yesterday :smile: .

I am going to head down tomorrow morning, hoping I can get a bit as lucky. Where were you and what tree is the Osprey headed for? Looks like one of the dead ones on the point, were you shooting from the middle platform?

Not sure which I like best, the two "talon to talon" or the one heading for the tree.

Super....

11. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great series, just great and greeny thrown in for fun !!!