Today is the day for the 3rd Annual Nikon Cafe' Get-Together

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leigh, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Outline of events is as follows:

March 30, 2007 (beginning around 5pm or so): An informal gathering at our home for NikonCafe' members and their families. There will be lots of food and conversation. Commodore First (Wade) has also organized a very exciting door prize collection for all members who attend this meet-and-greet.

March 31, 2007 (dawn): An early morning shoot at the UAH duckpond. Frank (Flew) will give everyone details about this shoot on Friday night.

March 31, 2007 (9am): Gather at Huntsville Botanical Garden. Here you will find 112 acres of pristine flower gardens and walkways, herb gardens, water fountains and lily pads. You will also be in for a treat this time as you will be at the Garden when the 100 year old Dogwood is in bloom (this is a real treat...it is huge...and beautiful). Lunch will be catered at the Grisham Pavillion at the Garden at 12:30.

March 31, 2007 (nightfall?): Campfire and S'mores the Sommer and her family on Green Mountain! This is a must!!!

April 1, 2007 (dawn): Another early morning shoot at Guntersville Dam. This is the place to go if you want to see the Bald Eagles as well as tons of Great Blue Herons! Again, Frank will have the details for this on Friday night.

April 1, 2007 (1pm): A hike on Green Mountain. It's a short hike and the pathways, for the most part, are paved.

April 1, 2007 (after the hike): Harmony Park Animal Safari! There are a bunch of really cool animals there, in a free-range set-up. They will walk right up to you, and you can feed them right out of your hands. They have some excellent photo op's here. Some of the animals include zebras, alligators, a VERY FRIENDLY CAMEL, quite a few emus, a water buffalo and peacocks, just to name a few. Cost will be $5/person (admission at the entrance) with children under 2 free.

April 1, 2007: Dinner at Royal China Buffet. Cost: $9.99/adult, $2.99/under age 4. Time...we can all discuss this when we get together and decide when we feel like meeting up.
    Anyone who has questions regarding the Get-Together, please feel free to post it here, or send me a PM.

So far, the following members have RSVP'd:

1) Doorman and his wife (2-lunches, 1 M shirt, 1 XL shirt-PAID) [Monte Sano State Park Campground]
    2) Eng45ine and Marissa (his daughter) (2 lunches, 1 XL shirt, 1 L shirt-PAID) [fairfield 3/29-4/2]
    3) Cherokee and his wife (2 lunches-PAID)[local]
    4) jryoung1947 and his wife (2 lunches-PAID) [fairfield]
    5) jmartin and his wife and children (4 lunches, 1 L shirt-PAID) [fairfield]
    6) Rich Gibson and his wife (2 lunches, 1 L shirt, 1 XL shirt-PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/2]
    7) ClixPix (1 lunch, 1 M shirt-PAID) [fairfield 3/29-4/2]
    8) Commodorefirst and his wife (2 lunches-PAID) [fairfield 3/29-4/1]
    9) Mason and his girlfriend (2 lunches, 1 XL shirt-PAID) [local]
    10) rbsmith, Alice (wife) and daughter (3 lunches, 1 XL shirt, 1 S shirt, 1 Youth Large shirt- PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/1]
    11) ozarkshome and his wife (2 lunches, 1 XL shirt, 1 M shirt-PAID) [fairfield 3/29-4/2]
    12) SilverEagle and his wife [local]
    13) Frits (1 lunch, 1 Large shirt-PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/2]
    14) Smokey (1 lunch, 2 XL shirts-PAID) [local]
    15) Sommer, her husband and daughter (3 lunches- PAID) [Monte Sano State Park Campground]
    16) Flew (1 lunch, 2 XL shirts) [local]
    17) J.ALan (1 adult lunch, 1 child lunch, 1 XL shirt-PAID) [local]
    18) Quiet Eye (1 lunch-PAID) [local]
    19) TheTinTypeMan and TheTinTypeLady [local]
    20) Bubba and Shanna (1 hat, 1 patch, 1 3X shirt and 1 2X shirt) [local]
    21) Patrick Bramlett and Leigh Bramlett, plus our 2 kids [local]
    22) Greg [local]
    23) Jade and her family (3 lunches- PAID) [local]
    24) Bourbon Cowboy (1-lunch, 1-XXL shirt PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/1]
    25) CMPalmer (1-lunch) [local]
    26) dmwphoto (1-lunch-PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/1]
    27) Dave Dickerson (1-lunch-PAID) [fairfield 3/30-4/1]
    28) Bronica Bill (1-lunch-PAID) [local]
    29) PeterParker (a definite maybe)

If your name should be on this list and it is not, please send me a PM and let me know. Also, if your name is on the list and you have paid, but I have not noted as such, please PM me and let me know that as well (including your method of payment). Cafe' Members names are in bold.

We are looking forward to seeing you all in a very short time!

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Leigh :

Argh. I would so like to be out there with all of you. But I'll just raise a toast to the noble and fine members of the Café from here.

John P.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    No worries, John. We'll miss you, but I promise, the next time you are in town, we'll be sure to get together again!

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Only 2 more days, folks!

Time to REALLY get excited!

5. Packing the car now.

:smile:

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Me too!

7. Somewhere in KY, getting close to TN, in a motel for the night. Should arrive tomorrow, on schedule.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

8. Darn, dang, dam*, how I wish our Spring Break had been one week later . . . it would be only a short 750 mile jaunt that I'd willingly undertake.

I hope to be able to attend the gathering next year and I hope that as many of my online friends and admired photo-folks will be there in 2008.

I'll be looking forward to seeing many photos and reading about all the great times that are sure to follow from this weekend.

Thanks in absentia to Leigh and Patrick (well, maybe mostly to Leigh - LOL) for being such generous hosts again.

Eric

9. Geej

Geej

Aug 11, 2005
    Northern Colorado
    I'd like to wish all of you that are traveling to have a very safe trip. And I hope you ALL have tons of fun, eat lots of food, and of course take a whole bunch of photos. I look forward to seeing all the posts next week.

10. Checking in from beautiful Johnson City, TN (on the border of Virginia and Tennessee)! I'm in a hotel which provides complimentary high-speed wireless internet access. When I was looking online to find a good place to make my reservations, I deliberately chose one that offered this. It's also convenient to a mall, so after I got here and freshened up, I went on over to the mall and stretched my legs while browsing in the shops before having a quick dinner in the food court. Now I'm relaxing in the room with my laptop and looking forward to finishing the journey tomorrow! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Lucky you Connie,

I have to put in a full day of work starting at 6:45 am (actually skipping out around 2:00) and then I get to leave for the 8 hour drive!

Should arrive around 10 Thursday. I called today and and tripled checked my reservation and told them they better have a room late when I arrived!

I have had this happen before, arrive late when I told them I would arrive late, and they had already gave the room away.

Anyway,

Will have to head back home Early Sunday or may be late saturday night, not sure yet? be we need to be back in St. louis by 1:00

Looking forward to everything,

And we have 35 door prizes so everyone will go home with something!

Wade

12. I hope everyone travelling will have a wonderful safe trip and when ya'll get to Leigh's house, give her and Patrick a big hug from me, eat, sleep, and take a zillion photos! Oh yeah, don't ya'll hurt yer shutter fingers! :wink: :biggrin: Don't forget to hug da little boys too!

13. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Tomorrow night kicks off the weekend! I'm so excited!

I can't wait to see you all very soon. To those who can't make it this year, we will miss you, but don't worry, there's always next year! We'll makes sure everyone takes lots of pictures...this will give you lots of reasons to plan on joining us next year!:biggrin:

I will begin my cooking today so if anyone needs me, I'll be right here at home.

See you soon!:smile:

14. yep, the ol puter is gonna be mighty lonely while everyone is out playing and having a good time! I'm gonna miss all my buddies! ya'll have a wonderful time and a safe trip too!

15. Those of us who have laptops and those who are local residents will undoubtedly be popping in to say hello from time to time during the weekend so you won't miss us completely! :smile:

16. Changing planes with a short connection in Toronto, I am restricting myself to cabin luggage only. Translated that means: travel light!
    So, just a few lenses, no tripod and no laptop. My sharing of impressions / images will have to wait until my return home next week.

17. :eek:
    Hmmm, I wonder if there was a camera shop in the mall???? We shall find out later this afternoon :biggrin:

18. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I hope there's a camera packed in that bag too....lenses won't do much good w/o it!:wink:

19. Aaiiiiiiiiii......I hate getting old! Thanks Leigh! :biggrin:

20. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    Geeeez, I wish I could be there. I hope you all have a great time. I look forward to hearing the stories.

-- Russ