Today is the first day of the new season

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Oct 25, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

This time even the weather forecast had warned us, and yet same procedure as as last year - same procedure as every year in fact. Snow. Lots of it. White stuff. People forgetting about putting winter tires on their cars. Chaos everywhere. And bitingly cold windy weather too, so you would understand who's the master and that's not us.

The apple tree swayed violently in the gale-force gusts (hence little snow could accumulate on the branches), so I cranked up the aperture of my 300 to its 2.8 maximum and shot a long series to ensure I got at least one sufficiently sharp image. This isn't my usual style of photography, but the soft yet colourful tonality got on my mind. Taken today at 1325 local time.

On the way back to my house, the radio reported that more than 1000 vehicles had skidded off the slippery, snow-covered roads. We never learn. And driving on snow-covered roads is just so much fun. :biggrin:

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    Great shot Bjorn.. looks like a painting you would see on someones wall...

Thanks for Sharing it

Tim

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice image, Bjorn. How much post-processing did you do to this image? And what kind?

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

No particular post-processing at all. the snow in the air gave very soft tones to the scene. I added a little fill-in light in BibblePro 4.4b to make the shadows less prominent (overcast with snow gives very soft light, but it is still directional so unless your subject is close to the snow-covered and reflective ground, shadows show clearly).

5. Bjorn, this is a beautiful image. I love the soft light and the composition. It would make a nice image to hang on your wall.

6. Very nice photo Bjorn. It looks as a contradiction (hope i use the right word). I don't know what kind of fruits it are but they look so colorfull and warm and the snow looks so cold. I love this capture.

Greetings,
    Vince

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very Beautiful Bjorn.

Love the color and the feel it has. Cold but beautiful

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Vince: Apples are likely apples everywhere?

Cold, yes, "only" -5 C but strong winds chill efficiently.

When we get snowfalls in late autumn, for example late September or early-mid October, there are lots of autumn foliage left and you can have some amazing contrasts.

One might also wonder whether climatic changes are making some practical jokes on our behalf. Many years ago I read a story about the 18th Century Swedish Queen Desirée who had a big problem with frost-bite and skin ailment (no wonder, she had French ancestry and probably found Sweden nearly as cold and inhospitable as Norway). Her doctor told her only picking strawberries under the snow would cure her illness. A clever way of saving his skin because strawberries set fruit in late spring or early summer so the prescription would be unattainable.

Now, those were the days and the times they are changing. This year, I had strawberries flowering (second generation) outside my house in late September, after an unusually warm autumn. And sure enough, early this morning, at the onset of the heavy snowfall, I found red, delicious strawberries - under the snow. I spent the morning hours duly photographing this rarity. Too late for the Swedish Queen of course, but it proves that even the unthinkable eventually may occur. And I rather have snow than hurricane Wilma or any of her ilk.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2005
  9. Bjorn, beautiful picture. I like the composition and the contrast between the warm color of apples and the cold conveyed by the bluish white of snow.

10. Nice image. You make me miss the snow. Almost. :biggrin:

I actually do well in very cold weather (Colorado, Chicago, Buffalo, etc.), but I have accepted an acute lack of it in recent years.

11. Those apples really make the picture shine, get ready to make some apple icewine.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very nicely done Bjorn. Really like the overall composition of this shot and how it turned out. Much more "normal" than most of your work displayed here! :wink: So, did you have YOUR snowtires on before the snows hit? :tongue:

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Yes, of course. This year, I have crossed the central mountain range several times already.

Besides that, I really like fast driving on winding, slipperery, ice- and snow-covered roads. Certainly one of the more enjoyable and exhilarating experiences you can have with a car. Earlier this year I travelled with Michael Reichman (of Luminous Landscape fame) and his videographer Chris Sanderson in Western Norway, and Chris didn't share my liking for fast driving on snow, but being professional to the very end, he kept his minicam rolling even when we very nearly went over the road shoulder to be propelled to a location somewhere 200 m lower (we quite unexpectedly met a car in a hair-pin bend and several meter high banks of snow along the road obscured the view, so I'm quite happy of having fast reflexes and I don't mean my d2X bodies. To this day, Chis never realised he had been within 20 cm of going over that cliff. Hopefully the footage will be in next issue of Michael's Video Journal. Well, you only live twice so better make the most out of it :biggrin: ).

14. I second that Bjorn i prefer snow above hurricanes. But on the other hand i think the house i life in is better build then the houses in america. I don't understand why they keep building wooden houses and so in coastal places in America. While they know they can get crushed by extreme storms or hurricanes.

I hope we get some snow this year in the Netherlands. Last year i had the flu when there was big snow fall. And mostly in the Netherlands it freezes not enough to keep the snow on the ground. So i hope this year for some 0 to minus 10 for a good snow surroundings.

Greetings,
    Vince