Today's Butterfly

Well, this is one day I should have just stayed at home. Not much of anything to shoot at - even most of the butterflies were hiding or something. This was taken using my extension tubes on my 300mm f4. I think I still need more practice! And now after seeing this photo, I have some cleaning to do! I also figured out with the tubes attached, my lens doesn't focus as quickly. Guess that will take some getting used to.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you hand holding or using a tripod? I would crop the image slightly - bring the left corner down closer to the butterfly.

Are you hand holding or using a tripod? I would crop the image slightly - bring the left corner down closer to the butterfly.
I had my camera on the tripod, but the ground was very rough with rocks and whatnot - we were very close to the water's edge and I was having a hard time keeping it steady. I'm thinking I want to get out again by myself, I had 2 of my kids with me (they were shooting too). I'm also thinking I need to practice on something more stable until I can learn just how close I can get when using the 300mm and kenkos together. I"ll recrop and repost

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nice shot. The crop is maybe a bit too tight I think.

(I'm more bothered by those two dust bunnies) :smile:

I like the shot! You got good contrast and detail, and the color is very nice. The white flower is blown out but you could correct it in PP using selective color (I know from experience :rolleyes:).

I have to say I don't use a tripod for shooting insects. I've tried, and I see the beautiful results others show, but I miss every single shot when I use a tripod. It's just too clumsy and difficult for me, even with a monopod. I try to use a fast lens and shoot at high shutter speeds to compensate.

Interesting shot cajun angel. Sorry to hear bout the splotches on the sensor. Please let us see more.
Mike
Thanks! I think those dust bunnies are on the lens - at least I'll know when I go out again. Been busy cleaning up the gear!

I like the shot! You got good contrast and detail, and the color is very nice. The white flower is blown out but you could correct it in PP using selective color (I know from experience :rolleyes:).

I have to say I don't use a tripod for shooting insects. I've tried, and I see the beautiful results others show, but I miss every single shot when I use a tripod. It's just too clumsy and difficult for me, even with a monopod. I try to use a fast lens and shoot at high shutter speeds to compensate.
Thanks! I don't like much using a tripod either, but have found it's the best way for me to get sharp images - no matter what I'm shooting - except maybe MX. I haven't enough strength to handhold my 300mm fr +1.4 TC or kenkos attached to keep it steady enough for sharpness. Believe me, I miss a lot of shots but then, the ones I do manage to get are almost always keepers. I just need to learn how to not get so frustrated when a butterfly does its' thing and not stay put long enough!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom