Today's D2X shots (large)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Boobie Joe, Mar 15, 2005.

1. I thought I'd go try on some of your favorite subjects before I bring the camera to the real job .

Birds ... Squirrels and Arianne skintone test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 100% crop from the one on top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Finally Arianne, out of the box shot. It was initially a bit blurred by movement so I am not giving you a 100% crop here. It was also shot at ISO 500 and with minimum DOF ...

[​IMG]

Questions, comments, help welcome ...

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice, nice, nice!

So, are you convinced yet of sticking with your prior hunch of using +3 Hue adjustment in-cam?

3. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Yves, these are stunnig! the colors and detail is fantastic. do post these on the other forum so people can see what this machine can do in your talented hands. :)

4. Man the colors and detail are just stunning! Whoa!!!

5. WOW, fantastic!! Thanks Yves!! :D :D :D :D :D

6. Re: Nice, nice, nice!

Most definitely Steven, I even dialed some pictures to +6 ...

7. I am not sure because they are birds ... and squirrels and I would like to avoid confrontation as much as possible

8. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Confrontation? they can't hurt you from the other side of the world.
    Ohwell, at least I got to see them here. reallyNicE.

9. OK, you convinced me ...

Done ...

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Boobie,

Once again you have shown your considerable talents with a photographic tool. 8) Even though I know that birds are not your specialty, these are just awesome.... :wink:

The only question that I have left in my mind is, how much better are these than the same shots woth the D2H? Is there any way that we could convince you to do a side-by-side (shot-for-shot) comparison? I know that this would be hard, given that you only have one of each lens, but it would sure be helpful to those of use struggling with the $5K price tag of upgrading.... :roll:

Thanks,

Frank

11. I am just hoping you are not asking me to do a test (side by side) with birds as a subject ... :roll:

How can I put this.

The D2H is a fantastic camera. It has the colors, the body, the focus, the metering and it can render images well above average for most photographers. It is a bit noisier than the competition but is doesn't bother me at all since I rarely shoot at hi ISO.

The D2X is having the same as the D2H as far as quality with slightly lower noise, smaller Buffer (relatively), and it acts a s 2 camera in one ...

The HSC is a great move by Nikon especially for birders like you. If you need 2X crop from a lens, it will do it in a snap.

All the images you have seen posted in my thread are severely cropped except for the shot of Arianne only resized. TRhe other were also done a 6,7MP for most, this only give you an idea how good that sensor is. It is ultra sharp. The exposure is also a big improvement over the D2H wich was already masterful IMO.

I can't say enough good things about the camera at this point, I was to see how it performs in a real job situation too.

More to come eventually for sure. BTW, it is worth the extra $$$ if you have them available.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks BJ. Just what my wife will not want to hear.... :roll:

As I said before, between you and Ron, I'm having an awful time resisting the urge to order one of these babies.... 8)

Thanks for your detailed reply (actually, Janie says ppphhhhhhtttt!!). :lol: :lol:

Frank

13. WOW! and ouch, those are so sharp....and fantastic color...

and yes for birders that crop mode is the best thing since sliced bread...

you're killing me....

14. Now Imagine a stabilised 800mm F 5.6

Just an awesome camera.

15. OK now these are just horrid, wretched, ... disgusting, ... cruddy yucky photos! :x

(of couse you know i'm kidding but now I really hate you and must come and beat you up and take your D2x - awesome photos btw) :wink:

16. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Superb Yves.

Now add me to the list of those being mangled by unrequited lust for that camera!

Oh well, back to reading Ron's ebook and learning how to get the best out of my D100.

Great shots though, seriously.

Neil

17. Oh man !!!

Stunning, as usual. The detail is stunning. Glad to see you got some squirrels in :lol:

18. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

19. I see the writing on the wall now. I'll be one of the minority D2H owners soon enough. :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. Yves,

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you! Up until I saw these photos, which are absolutely wonderful, I have resisted thinking about getting a D2X. Well you have done it! Now I'm trying to figure out how get one. The shot of the 5 doves is what did it.

Chet