Today's Model Shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by ShadowForce, Jun 23, 2007.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I'd appreciate any constructive criticism you can provide. I've only adjusted exposure/brightness and cropped a couple. I'm not near through processing all the images but here are a few:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    the first two were cropped two low on the body...to much wasted space on top. JMHO. THe third one with half his legs does nothing for the guy...either do from the belt up or the whole body. Again...JMHO. The last one...his clothes look too crumpled up ... only see half of his t-shirt and his belt is half showing. But what do I know...I'm female...and I notice stuff like this.

As far as exposure...I would try -1/3 EV on the last three.

3. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    i assume you left space on the first two to crop them to 8x10s. the skintone seems a little yellow to me, but i don't know the guy. the 3/4-body chopped at the knees...a bit of a no-no...and the pose is too casual...it looks like he's just standing there waiting for something to happen. guys don't have to be straight on the camera, you just don't want them to have too many bent parts or look up too much as general rules.

on the outdoor set, he blends into the wall too much...his skin tone combined with the brown shirt. on the first outdoor one, you might consider keeping his far hand visible, the way it is now, it gives the impression that its missing.

also in general, they could use a little contrast/punch too.

i did a number on the second shot in photoshop, glad to post it, or even send the psd to you if you wanted...but i don't want to step on your toes at all in case you're a photoshop wizard, or take the thread off topic. let me know if you're interested.

cheers,
    david

4. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    I agree that the first 2 are cropped kind of funny. The last two seem to be over sharpened or some other little thing I can't quite put my finger on. The exposure on the first 2 seems to be spot on.

5. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Seneca,

Thanks so much for your comments. I've got a couple of new crops that I'll put up shortly. Agree totally on the shots where I got just the knees on up. I'll look for that in the future.

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    David,

I'd really like to see your photo-shopped version. Won't step on my toes in the least. I've got much to learn!

Thanks for commenting. Agree totally on the brick wall shots. I had another friend comment on the same thing. I'll play around with the contrast a bit to remove some of the flat lighting.

7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Paul, I appreciate your comments. I think the last two just need a bit of post-processing in regards to more contrast. I was too lazy to carry my strobe outside the studio and just used on-camera flash on my bracket (SB-800).

8. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Bob, I don't want you to think I was trying to bust chops here. When you ask for critique, the cafe can deliver. :smile:

9. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    hey again, bob. :)

its actually quite remarkable how well he blends in. lol

anywho...i spent a little time, did a little in ACR, and then a little tone adjustment, render lighting effect, yada yada yada. <3 photoshop.

165924789-O-LB-FIX.

10. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Paul, no problem whatsoever. The only way I'm going to improve is to gather constructive criticism and apply it.

Thanks!

11. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Dave,

Fantastic! I love how you modified the photo. I'm really quite the novice in photoshop. Would you mind sharing in a bit more detail the steps you took to enhance the image? I really like the way it pops now.

12. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I've modified the first of the "brick" shots to add more contrast. I think it looks quite a bit better than the one w/o.

13. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    sure thing :)

1st, i set photoshop to handle jpegs like raws (CS3 only).
    i used the following settings in ACR:

temperature: -13
    tint: -7
    exposure: +0.20
    recover: 9
    fill light: 15
    blacks: 28
    brightness: 0
    contrast: +32

then i opened it in photoshop.

i used select > color range, and clicked on the lightest highlight area of the skin (for all these steps, keep the fuzziness fairly low). hit enter. create a curves adjustment layer (it'll create a mask of what you've selected). bring the curve up slightly from the middle (toward the top left). hit enter. apply a gaussian blur with a very large amount to the mask. repeat once more the color range step, only this time select a dark shadow area from his face. repeat the mask and gaussian blur. (i then duplicated the shadow layer, and lowered the opacity to 50%).

i then proceeded to mask out areas i didn't want changed, like taking out some shadow around his right eye...etc. i made sure to keep the eyes bright.

next, i did a "merge visible" into a new layer (don't just merge, make sure they create a new merged layer on top...on mac it's apple+option+shift+E). make 2 of these, turn off visibility of the one on top.

on the new layer, i went to filter > render > lighting effects. i put an omni light on each shoulder, and fiddle with the controls (i ended up with settings more toward shiny, plastic, and overexposure...it'll be different, you have to play with it til it looks a little overcooked in the preview). i then masked the face and background and shirt, so the lighting was only on the shoulders...to give separation from the background.

on the top copy, do another fliter > render > lighting effects...but this time, only put a single omni light on the face, similar to the shoulder ones, but brighter. now, mask off the face again, and the shirt, and the background, but leave a halo of light around the head, you can kind of see where i left mine. now apply a gaussian blur with nearly maximum amount (200ish) to the mask (not the image, mask only). i left a little bit of the light on the hair, to give it a little dimension, and separation/hair light.

not imperative, but i did this...i masked the eyes, and applied a curve to brighten the midtones a bit.

lastly, i created a final merge visible layer, and masked everything but the background...i was fairly careful about it. and applied a 1px "dust & scratches" (filter > noise > dust & scratches). and then i dodged the whites of his eyes (set the exposure to about 30% midtones), and used the sponge tool to desaturate his teeth a bit.

and voila!

its complicated....but it should be doable if you go step by step. glad to help along the way if you run into anything tricky.

cheers.

14. Rob G

Rob G

Jun 19, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    Looks to my eye like they all have a bit too much curve adjustment. I would have to see the originals to be sure but they have that "odd curve adjustment" look to them. JMHO.

-Rob G.

15. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Davo,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I had a hard drive failure on my desktop and I'm close to having completed a new windows installation, etc. As soon as it's back up, I'll load CS2 again and begin applying some of your photoshop tips.

16. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Rob. I'll get a copy of the original out early tomorrow evening for a comparison.