Today's Nikon Cafe Gathering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Birger, Harris, and I met at the West Palm Beach zoo today. Shot a few animals, showed off our new gear, and talked about you guys ;-).

Harris and Birger shot with 70-200VR lenses, and while Harris was kind enough to bring along his 300/4AFS for me to try out, I mostly stayed with my 85/1.4 and d200. And I mostly shot people!

Birger's beautiful daughter, her husband, and two granddaughters were in attendence, so I had models aplenty :). His smallest granddaughter is following in her grandpa's footsteps...

... but her sister seems to prefer being the model.

View attachment 22859

In case you're wondering where she got her good looks, here's mom.

View attachment 22860

I did manage to catch a few beastie pics with the 85mm lens...

View attachment 22861

View attachment 22862

View attachment 22863

... but I consider this picture of the girls and their dad my shot of the day.

View attachment 22864

Great fun meeting up with fellow Cafe members. They're great threadmates, but they're actually nicer in person than they are in the virtual world :).

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Excellent as always Frank. Sure wished I could'a went along too, if only to make your acquaintance! But I'm stuck in Sebring doing a driving school with my boys. Being with them is fun, even if the school isn't!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great snaps, Frank. It looks as though the day was perfect and spent with great friends. Your camera does wonders with skin tones...awesome! Papa Tony, Tomeriffic (Ty) and I are headed to the Brookfield Zoo next Tuesday morning for a shoot. I don't think any of us will be donning shorts for this trip though. Thankfully, the snow is all gone due to several days of above average temps.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice shots all.....have lot's more fun in sunny FLA....

5. It sure was fun to meet The Legend, the one and only UNCLE FRANK!

Having the time to spend with Birger, Uncle Frank and family was a great way to spend on my day off. I plan to get back to the zoo with Birger and Steve S, esp. with more sunlight.

6. Wow Frank, you get around. What takes you to the other coast? Nice images and I especially like the colors of the parrot. The young ladies are well photographed by you as well. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos.

7. I sorely missed the opportunity to meet you, Steve. Both Birger and Harris had wonderful things to say about you, and your devotion to your boys makes me understand why. Maybe next time we'll be able to hook up.

8. Harris, it was my pleasure! You're everything I expected and more. And it was a treat to meet Mary as well.

9. My mom lives in W. Palm Beach, Gordon, and we came outto help her through the early phases of her recovery. She was quite ill, and just made it out of rehab in time for the holidays. At 88 years old, it'll take some time for her to get her strength back, but she's very strong minded, and determined to get back to independent living as quickly as possible.

10. Hey Frank, the first two shots and pose of the little girls are winners. By the way your missing the big storm that No. Calif. is having. We will be getting it down my way starting Fri. evening. Stay dry.
    Pete

11. Nicely done, Frank. :smile:

I got a chuckle of you going to the zoo to shoot people! :eek: :confused: :biggrin: Of course these are not just random people, but our people, our extended Cafe family. :cool:

Looks like you all had fun, in great weather. See you soon, when you get back.

12. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Great shots Frank. You obviously have been practicing your smile technique -- even the gator is smiling.

13. Very nice Frank, isint it cool meetign folks from online here. Great shots btw looksliek u r comign to terms with the D200/85 1.4 combo

14. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Frank and Harris-- you missed the green one.

Birger

[​IMG]

15. Thanks for reminding me about your mom. I did know she had been down and that you were concerned about her. I had forgotten that she lived in Florida. I hope all goes well with her recovery, it is hard when you reach that age.

16. Nice capture Birger! Frank, he's sandbagging! :wink:

17. Nice shot, Birger. I never saw that lizard. I was too busy taking pictures of your beautiful daughter ;-).

18. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Frank;
    I much rather look at your people pictures with expressions than any other...
    You have the knack of catching expressions at the precise moment.

Birger

19. hey now, when I shoot birds, I get them to smile... I say "smile for the human"
    :rolleyes:

20. I'm honored, Birger, but I can't claim any special skill. I just work at making my victims feel comfortable, and take a lot of pictures. The real trick is in reviewing them, and knowing which ones to show and which ones to toss ;-).

Besides, your girls are natural posers.