Today's practice w/300mm + 1.4TC (3 pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now see how much better it is to actually go outside and shoot Dianne. :biggrin:

Nice shots. :smile:

2. I'd say you got a good one I had to put my sun glasses on they are so bright a clear. LOL

Congrats Dianne

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Dianne Very nice, Very sharp and good detail. 300 with 1.4 = 420mm. So what is the exif?

4. Thanks Flew! I take it I'm improving! It was finally a warm enough day and it was a crystal clear one at that! I actually enjoyed sitting out and watching for the birds to come. As a bonus, a bunny hopped in but I haven't gotten around to see if he/she will be postable. I'm really liking my 300mm and I'm looking forward to learning how to use my jubo!

LOL, Thanks Gary! Today was a gorgeous day! No clouds, not too cold, and the birdies just seemed to know I needed the practice. I had tons of them to practice on! I'm gonna keep practicing so I'll be ready for my eagle shots next year!

5. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Good Shots, Dianne.

6. Thanks! I'm not sure what's going on with panda - the exif info should be there!

I had my ISO at 200, WB was direct sun, EV settings fluctuated with the lighting, aperture priority, RAW format. I can't remember what else is important info. I gotta figure out how to not lose the exif info when I post.

7. Thanks, Herb! It was a fun afternoon!

8. Good going Dianne. Patience pays off. The 300/f4 is quite a lens.

Louie

9. Thanks Louie! My next project will be to try the 300mm and jubo on dirtbikers. I figure it will give me good practice to learn before I try it on birds in flight. My wonderful hubby will be quite accommodating on jumping for me! Who knows, I may end up with another lens by next year! :rolleyes: :wink:

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I always "save" not "save as" could be something else though. :eek:

11. Very nice, Dianne! Amazing what a difference a good lens can make, eh? You've got a dandy! Works well with the 1.4x TC, too! You were lucky, as you had really good light for these, too. Well done!

Yes, I think when you do "save as..." that will preserve your EXIF data but if you hit "save for web" that does not. When you hit "save," I hope that it is not on the original, but rather a copy of it, so that you've always got your original to go back to if later on you want to tinker with a particular image again!

12. Thanks Connie! Actually, my originals remain as my originals. The processed photos go into another folder. I'll have to pay more attention to the way I save things, funny thing, I do everything the same way and sometimes the exif info is there and sometimes not. Dunno what to think! But yeppers, I'm lucky that I was able to get this wonderful lens at a great price and a hubby that affords me the toys!

13. Dianne,

Your photographs are great! The only nit-pick I have is they appear to have been sharpened a skosh too much, the clue being some white and black "haloing" about the bird against the sky.

What software do you use? Elements or CSx? Or something else? If CSx, check out this site.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18203

expecially Chapter 5 using hiraloam sharpening in the Luinance channel only (no helos ever unless very heavily abused)

Regards,
    Nick

14. Thanks Nick! Well, I actually just use nikon view 6 right now. I'm having some minor problems with the PC and need to take it in to the shop. I've bought Nikon Capture NX and Elements 5. I know I have a long way to go - especially in learning this post processing thing!

15. Very nice captures, Dianne. We can see that you are now getting very comfortable with the 300/4 + TC. What a great combo.

16. Thanks Phil! part of my problem was getting in too big of a hurry and my settings would often be wrong or something. The wind was a challenge yesterday, but it was a fun day - while waiting for birds, I'd shoot my iris's or anything else I could find! And oh yeah, I'm loving this lens!!!!!!

17. Very nice Dianne. Did you know you could have this much fun on your patio? BTW, I'm getting exif on the first and third photos.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good Dianne...

Processing is a whole different ballgame:>))

When you see that white halo that is over sharpened.
    Perhaps cropped a tad to much also. Your contrast is a bit high.

19. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Great shots Dianne..real vibrant colours!