Todays swans and kingfisher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Nov 26, 2005.

1. I got up again and went to Bob Heirman Reserve and then I was off to Spencer Island. It was cold but a very nice day. Two bald eagles landed in a tree near the lake. I was determined I would wait until they flew before I left. Well after two whole hours I gave up. Here are a few from my outing.
    original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well you sure came away with some beauties.

I still have to laugh at those big feet :>)))

You did have some pretty light.

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Jim -

Super shots of beautiful birds. The flight shots are fantastic. How did that little guy (Belted Kingfisher?) sneak in? Sorry you won't be able to join Bill and me Friday. Next time!

Gordon

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

If this keeps up I'm gonna have to find a permanent rock!! :biggrin: :rolleyes:

You took advantage of small great light and turned in some righteous work!!

5. Great work Jim, were these taken with the Sigma 500/4.5? Any TCs?

6. Wow - you are the Kingfisher guy for sure! Great shots Jim.

7. I too get a kick out of those big feet. They are so fun to watch.

8. Thanks Gordon. The kingfisher was from another location close to where Bill lives. A place called Spencer Island. I went there after the swans. Not much was happening but the kingfishers were very active. Have a good time with Bill.

9. Thanks Ben. I have been pretty lucky with getting fairly close to Kingfishers over the past month. If I would have had more time, I am sure I could have gotten this guy eating. It kept diving off the tree but never came up with anything I could see.

10. Thanks Brett. These were all shot with the Sigma 500. About half were with the TC. I think most of these shots had the tc on. Unfortunately my exif info. does not show any difference if the tc is on, so I can only go by recall, which for me is getting harder all the time.

11. Rory I was thinking of you when I shot this. I said Rory will be happy I have my branch!! I have been pretty lucky with these guys as of late. I was really trying to find an eagle in flight, but it was not meant to be today. I bet you have lots of them up there now.

12. I love the landing Swan, superb composition and light! And another Kingfisher bites the dust!

All I got today where a few eagles....

a

13. I will trade you any day for those eagles!! You did great with them and I want to see some in flight real bad.

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice set Jim. I love the Kingfisher. :smile:

15. Thanks Frank. It really makes me appreciate what you guys shooting white birds have to do to not blow the highlights. The DR was greater than the camera could handle. Shooting white birds in brite light is not something we have to do much here in the PNW. I really tried to hold the highlights, but on some shots it was just not possible.

I have been very lucky with my kingfishers as of late. Now if I could only be so lucky with the eagles.

16. I like the first image quite a bit. The tripartite of swans was composed very nicely.

17. Beautiful swans and a great kingfisher too, Jim!!

18. great swan shots...