Today's uprez technology is sooooo good !

I've been taking quick and dirty pics of my ALL my Leica stuff and old Nikon film stuff under my table lamp (yeh, that's really amateur!) so I can sell it on eBay quite soon.

I took these on the CP8800 as 1MP images, and for fun I decided to up rez this one to a 3900x2925 Tiff (thats from 1MP to nearly 12MP...D2X'ish size !!) using Fred Miranda's upsize action.

It's no great image, but I'm AMAZED at just how well the software works and the detail one can get out of a 1MP image....

DSCN14526398.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bendheim said:
using Fred Miranda's upsize action.

It's no great image, but I'm AMAZED at just how well the software works and the detail one can get out of a 1MP image....
Peter,
Which action is it ?. Do you mind posting a link ?

Holy flying uprez Batman!

My 6 MP images out of my D100 don't even look that good, especially if I try and take them under a desk lamp. Great job Peter.

I have the SI Pro plug-in but haven't used it a whole lot.

Neil

Yes, the original exif data reads as follows :1/17 sec , f2.9 , ISO 50, 1280x960 ------ so it's a pretty big leap !

PS - How (on a Mac) does one get the EXIF data out without me typing it out bit by bit ? I'm dumb about these things !

NeilCam said:
Holy flying uprez Batman!

My 6 MP images out of my D100 don't even look that good, especially if I try and take them under a desk lamp. Great job Peter.

I'm confused - how is this uprezzed when its only 936 X 702? How can this image be compared to a 6mp image?

Wouldn't you have to show us the original at 1:1 compared to the uprezzed image at 1:1 in order for us to see how it works?

No, nothing can ever create more pixels...it simply interpolates them through software. At the original file size of 1280 by 960, you would print a 4.26x3.2 inch image at 300dpi. At the interpolated size you would get a 13x9.75 (as close to a 10x15 as possible) inch image at 300dpi. The interpolation is quite good and you could print that pretty well at that file size.
What you are seeing there on your monitor is the uprezzed version displayed at print size on screen, adjusted from 300dpi (print) down to 72dpi (monitor) , keeping the image size the SAME, and saving as a JPEG at 9 quality.

Hi Peter,

Very convincing demonstration. I may not sell ice to the eskimos (inuits as we call them in Canada), but you have sold Fred Miranda action to me.

Best wishes

bendheim said:
No, nothing can ever create more pixels...it simply interpolates them through software. At the original file size of 1280 by 960, you would print a 4.26x3.2 inch image at 300dpi. At the interpolated size you would get a 13x9.75 (as close to a 10x15 as possible) inch image at 300dpi. The interpolation is quite good and you could print that pretty well at that file size.
What you are seeing there on your monitor is the uprezzed version displayed at print size on screen, adjusted from 300dpi (print) down to 72dpi (monitor) , keeping the image size the SAME, and saving as a JPEG at 9 quality.

Peter, I am not disputing that this plug-in works, but why are you blowing up a 1280x960 to 3900x2925, and then shrink it back down to 936x702, for posting on eBay? What was wrong with just posting the original, perhaps sized down a bit?

There is just no way to judge the effect of the up-resing here... As Todd said, you'd have to show the same 100% crop of the blown up image (a small portion of the overall image, obviously) and the original.

Btw, this is a very fine capture!

Phillipe - I took ALL the images at 1MP specifically to DOWNSIZE for ebay as you rightly said. I only upsized one (this one) for the hell of it - I've been doing some 60x40 inch images from the D2H for a poster job, and I wanted to have some fun seeing what I could do with a 1MP image. I've never used the 8800 at anything lower than 8MP and I've never shot a 1MP before either. I was just amazed at what one can do with software. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly....

bendheim said:
I took these on the CP8800 as 1MP images, and for fun I decided to up rez this one to a 3900x2925 Tiff (thats from 1MP to nearly 12MP...D2X'ish size !!) using Fred Miranda's upsize action.

If you liked Fred's SI action you'll like his new resizing plugin even more. It is more versatile and introduces fewer artifacts.

Latest threads

Top Bottom