Toe in the water?

One of our local alternative papers sponsors a free concert each week. Just a gathering at a local venue really. I was there shooting last night and was approached by one of their reps. Evidently they had "forgotten their batteries" and asked if they could contact me to look at some of the images I was shooting for possible use on their website.

I'm completely in the dark when it comes to the business side of photography. What should I expect from this type of thing? I'm not necessarily in it for the money but I won't turn down a paycheck either. What would be typical for this type of arrangement? Pay vs. freebies for credit, image rights, etc?

Your advice would be most welcome.

You would need to know exactly what they intend to do with your photos and for how long in order to give them an accurate rate, that's where I'd start.

Did you send them a few photos yet ? If not send them low res and watermarked, you never know …

Whatever you do, don't give your photos for free !

No, they've not even seen the photos yet.

Just based on what she said I'm guessing they want to use one or two images on their website (along with a write-up of the event they will be doing).

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Don't be surprised if they say they don't pay. Take a look at their site. If they host advertisements, look for their a link to their advertising rates, circulation, and website impressions (visitors). Nothing is free. They may not be able to pay much if they are a very locally focused outlet, but they should be willing to pay you something. One possible alternative to pay is for you to get free advertising on their site, but only if you really believe that advertising on their site would benefit you monetarily.

If you seriously want to start this business (because it is a business just like any other) then you have to get paid, if not refuse the job. Simple as that although not simple because you're bound to second guess yourself and wonder if giving your photos/work would have helped you.

Ask yourself this : are there a lot of professionals out there giving their work out for free (not just photography) ? There's probably a good reason for that, they value their work.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom