Tokina 11-16 seems to be back-focusing horribly..

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jStat, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    This is happening on my D80, and consistently, to boot.

Anyone else having this issue on their bodies?

Should I contact Tokina regarding a warranty fix or should I attempt to fine-tune it with my D300 for exclusive use?

Thanks in advance.

2. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I would send it back!! Why should you ONLY be able to use this lens on your D300? That's ridicules that you should have to use it as is on one body. What happens if it get's progressivly worse? If that's possible.

3. Is it still returnable from where you bought it? If so, definitely return or exchange it. I would assume that you do not have this problem with other lenses on your D80, correct? Does it also back focus on your D300? How severe on your D300.

If the lens is BF on both cameras, and the D80 is OK with other lenses, I would send it to Tokina. I have never dealt with Tokina, but have them check out the lens. Perhaps it needs something replaced or repaired. Or, maybe it is out of spec. & they can adjust.

If it is adjustable to your liking on the D300 AF fiine tune, then you will have to decide. However, if you neeed to go to a -12 or more adj. on your D300, I would reconsider hanging on to it w/o service. It is gonna be tough to AF fine tune a zoom anyway on the D300, right? Maybe a little easier with a wider zoom?

mike

PS. If it is really BF horribly, I would think that something is bad. Perhaps the lens CPU needs replacing...just a guess if it is that bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  4. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Have you've tried a focus chart yet? I would try on of those out before sending it in.

5. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    My copy does backfocus but not horribly as you've described. Then again it's a ultra-wide angle so I won't be using it for narrow DOF work so I don't care as much.

But if it really backfocuses horribly, then there's probably a problem and I would try to return/exchange first before trying to go through warranty.

6. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Well, the BF seems to be about a foot or so.

I'll be trying B&H tomorrow.

7. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    Here is a picture from this combo. My girlfriend(edited for privacy) had all the active focus areas locked on her. The camera was at an acceptable distance, so that should not be a factor. Note the cat and the pink blankie(our daughter's) are in focus, while the girl is not.

I also used this lens combo at one of my football games recently to capture field goal practice; the background was in much better focus than the subjects in the foreground, despite focus being locked on to them.

[​IMG]

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Wow bummer! Mine definitely does NOT do that. I'd either exchange it for another one if you can, or see if you can send it back to Tokina for a recalibration. Problem with an exchange is that I don't think they're really in stock anywhere consistently, so you might have trouble with an exchange. :frown:

9. If it does the same with your D300 there is a problem for sure. If other lenses backfocus with the D80 surely the problem is there. If the selected AF sensor on your subject backfocus, certainly there is a problem. I am sure you have checked all this.
    Tokina has an excellent service. I cannot remember the name exactly but I believe they have a gentleman by the name of David who is knowledgeable and very kind. Tokina will calibrate the AF and the lens will come back to you corrected to factory standards.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

10. Yea, I would send it back to Tokina, The demand for it is pretty high, it might be a while before you see another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.