Tokina 11-16mm vs Nikkor 14mm

I'm currently wondering if I should sell my Nikkor 14mm f2.8 lens and change it to the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8. The Nikkor is good lens and I've been happy with it, except that it's pain in the *** to use with filters (and since shooting landscapes a lot, I really can't live without my ND grads).

Does anyone here have any experience or information if you compare these two against each other? Basically what I'm thinking here is that would the Tokina be noticable drop in image quality compared to Nikkor.

There are several things that are quite tempting with the Tokina. Naturally easier to use with filters (probably would get a Lee set). Then there's the range from 11mm (interesting effects) to 16mm (more moderate view) that would be nice.

I know that the Tokina is DX, but I figure that if I'll ever get a full frame camera, I'll probably get some new glass anyway. And I don't think I have that big need for 14mm on full frame (also it should work at 16mm). But I bought D300 this spring, the image quality is good for me and I just bought my own apartment.

I'm actually using the 14mm for my landscapes, but it would seem that the 11-16mm would be better for that use, and more versatile. Thanks for the reply.

Bench numbers I've seen give the nod to the Nikkor 14mm in the centers and to the Tokina 11-16 on the edges (way better wide open). Granted, the tests on the 11-16 were done on a Canon DSLR so it may be a bit different on a Nikon body. One thing that seems to stand out in my reading about Tokina lenses is that they are prone to CA, sometimes serious CA. This new 11-16/2.8 is no exception according to the test I saw on photozone.de. CA is readily fixable in PP of course but it's still irritating.

I haven't had any complaints about CA on my 11-16. The thing you need to be careful of is the rainbow arching ghosts you can get when pointing it into bright light sources.

This is from my F100 film camera, look in the lower left.

74650003-vi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

One thing that seems to stand out in my reading about Tokina lenses is that they are prone to CA, sometimes serious CA

Yep, that's what I have read too. But on the other hand, the Nikkor 14mm also has some CA's too.

But I just put my 14mm for sale, now I'll just have to wait untill I'll manage to sell it. Probably will get enough money to buy few Lee filters too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom