Tokina 12-24 & Sigma 10-20 ????

Has any one out there used both or owns both. I don't want to start "verbal war", but I am looking for some comments on the two lens. I will be buying one or the other, but I just can't come with a clear cut reason to go either way.

Thanks

Sam,
there are several posts that compare these two lenses, and nikons 12-24. The easiest would probably to use the search to find these posts. Good luck as I am still trying to decide between the two:)

The real problem is that I have no preference. I like both. I guess I'm looking for some advice to swing me one way or the other. Maybe at least a comments on the real uasblity of 10mm vs 12mm or f/4 fixed vs f/4-f/5.6.

Again, any comments will be appreciated.

If you don't have a preference, they both will do just fine. Don't agonize over this!

As for fixed aperture: I've had the Sigma 10-20 for about a year and a half, and I've found that it was too slow exactly once. I was in a French cathedral in the evening - and the indoors were lit by candlelight. I probably needed 3 or 4 stops faster to make those images, but really a tripod was a much better solution. (Assuming, of course, that they even permitted one, and I'd guess that they did not.) Flash would have killed the mood, of course.

Otherwise, I use this lens for landscapes, and I can't remember when I did not stop it down past f/8 for that purpose. Usually it's f/16 or f/22 for DOF reasons.

According to my EXIF data, I use 10mm a fair amount, but honestly, I used a Sigma 12-24 before this (yes I own them both), and I never found 12mm too "narrow" or restrictive.

As for sharpness, this image did not tolerate very much sharpening:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D2h, Sigma 10-20 @ 12mm, 1 sec, f/16, ISO 200

Last edited by a moderator:
This is possibly one of the most discussed lens comparisons on here! Personally I prefer the extra 4mm reach the Tokina gives as it means the lens is more versatile, although you may prefer the extra 2mm of the Sigma (which is 3mm in DX terms).

I use the Sigma 10-20 for sports sometimes and Because of the loss in corner contrast I try to stop down, In these cases I would definitely prefer the Sigma 12-24, since I wouldn't feel the need to stop down on a full frame lens. (And from what i've seen on sample wide open pics)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom