Tokina 12-24

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Palouse, Nov 25, 2005.

1. anyone with expereince with the new for-digital-only Tokina 12-24? I belive it's priced at $499. Thanks all.

2. I do not have direct experience with that lens BUT I do with the nikon 12-24. The pictures I have seen from the Tokina appear to be equal in quality to me.
    I would not hesitate to reccommend it based on all I have read and heard, I believe it is a great buy.
    dave

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Forum member SilverEagle, Muril has one. You might ask him to pop into this thread and give his thoughts.

Regards,

4. Thnaks Scott. I have also searched through Photonet and NikonCafe archives and the Tokina continues to stand out: a constant f4 like the Nikon (at twice the cost), while Tamron and Sigma are f4.5-5.6. Quality is close to or better than Nikon (depending on who's talking). About the only drawback is it is the heaviest of the group. However, most of my work is with a D2X on a Gitzo 1325 so weight is not a major concern!!
    I guess it's time to start leaving hints for "santa".

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd recommend testing both lenses. I have the Nikon 12-24mm AFS, and I get some rather nice images through the lens, sharp and crisp, not to mention with AFS speed. Everything I've read or seen about the Tokina seems to indicate that it's "almost" as crisp as the Nikon, but "almost" is a large grey area for most photographers.

The added time to test both lenses would probably make the differences, if any for your needs, crystalline clear.

IMO, anyway.

John P.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I own the Tokina and love it..
    Roman Johnston posted some pics on DPR after he got his and they really inspired me to buy it.

This is a picture I took with it shortly after I bought it

[​IMG]

I really love photographing people with it too...

[​IMG]

It is a great lens at a great price..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think you summed it up pretty well, except that the extra weight of the Tokina is not a disadvantage, it's a direct result of the Tokina having substantially better build quality than the others.

I've had the Tokina 12-24 for a while now and really like it, although I don't get to use it as much as I'd like; not a lot of epic landscapes around my hometown so it's mostly a travel lens for me.

I'll second Dave though, you should check out Roman's work to see just what this lens is capable of; really good stuff.

8. I lend it few times from a friend. I firstly wanted to buy it but just before i pulled i plug i chose to wait some more. Now i still want to buy it when it is in stock again at my favourite store.

The lens worked great on my D2X i loved the image quality and sharpness and color. So i can sure recommend it to you. And for the price it is getting sold is really no brainer.

On the 12mm mode you need to distort (if i say it good) the image a bit. But that is no problem.

9. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Roman's thread

Look at Roman's Yosemite pictures in the D2X thread for some fantastic examples of the Tokina 12-24.

10. Jeff-right you are about the weight.
    General, I did, and I'm hooked!

11. Tokina great unless on an IR mod D70

As Patrick mentioned, I have the Tokina 12-24mm and am happy with it. It has great reviews in which tests show that it compares favorably with the Nikon but at half the price. Some reviews even rate it higher. However, I get a terrible hot spot on my IR mod D70 and can barely shoot the Tokina wide open, but this is a non-problem for 'regular' use. The Nikon 12-24mm tests out much better for IR photography (I've only tested this with my Lifepixel mod D70, and I have one of the first with a glass IR filter). FYI this IR hot spot effect is attributed to the type of paint used inside the lens barrel.

12. I love this lens. Very good bang for the buck. There are lots of reviews on the net, and most of them are very positive. I am very glad I bought this lens.

13. I gave in and Santa is bringing me one for Christmas. Thanks all--for all your feedback. This is a very friendly site and informative too!
    By the way, Sanat ordered from onecall.com, where the ATX 124 is on sale for $485.11-with free 3-day Fedex shipping.

14. I find it to be a very clear and sharp lens. Use it for landscaping shots. I bought it based on the reviews I found. Just didn't seem like going Nikkon for double the bucks made much sense.

15. I'm just waiting to get States-side to pick one up as there are no Canadian dealers. Have researched Nikon vs Tokina to death and think I'll go with the Tokina due to all the reports, etc.

Dave, you do the lens justice!

16. I live in Calgary and got mine from B&H. Remember, no duty on photo equipment! :)

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Anand great to see you here again. :>))

18. ChrisK

ChrisK Guest

Works for me

I bought a Tokina 12-24 a few days ago and am amazed at the quality. Perhaps I bought a good one but it is my main lens now. Tested it against my lovely old 20mm f3.5 Nikkor and it beats it in the centre and is almost the equal at the extreme edges but with a brighter look. It may be a bit heavier than the 12-24 Nikkor but not much and I'm pretty certain that mine is as good as my friend's Nikkor,but with a little less CA at the edges on mine. As a professional I am happy to make money with this lens.
    Chris