Tokina 12-24

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 3, 2007.

1. I'll be taking test shots with Phillipe Roger's Tokina 12-24 for the next week. Here's a few from today.

This car was enhanced by the 18mm setting's perspective distortion.

At 24mm, it can be used for a decent portrait...

View attachment 109365

And at 12mm, it can make the same lady look like Arnold. Freaky, but kind of neat.

View attachment 109366

One of my intended uses will be for table shots at weddings. This was taken at 20mm, and it's about what I'd expect from 20/2.8. I'm glad to see it renders colors naturally, like the Nikkor.

View attachment 109367

There was quite a bit of distortion in this 12mm shot, but it was easily corrected in Photoshop.

View attachment 109368

12mm indoors.

View attachment 109369

The first day went better than expected. More tomorrow.

2. Looks like a nice lens to me.

Is that the Country Inn?

3. These are nice, UF, but I think you really need to try the Nikkor before you make a final decision. I believe it is special in color rendition, sharpness, etc. I have no experience with the Tokina, but I am very impressed with the Nikkor.

Read Bjørn Rørslett.

4. Nice Uncle Frank.
    However, as Bjorj said, I believe that you might get best results (color rendition and contrast) with the Nikkor.
    Your pic of the car reminded me the fun we can get shooting such subjects with these super wide lenses. Here's a couple taken with the Sigma 10-20 at 13mm:

View attachment 109371

Best Regards and a nice weekend!
    Rui

5. Thanks for the input, JT. I'm meeting a friend for lunch today, and he's going to let me take a few shots with his Nikon 12-24. I'm also comparing the Tokina's performance to my 20/2.8, and IQ aside, I'm not happy about losing an f/stop of speed.

Speaking of IQ, my own low IQ influenced the results adversely. These first Tokina shots weren't very contrasty, but I had accidentally left exposure compensation set to +0.3, so it's not a fair test.

Note that Bjorn doesn't rate the 12-24 Nikkor very highly.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_01.html#AFS12-24DX

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    The Sigma impressed me more than the Tokina, however I believe there's quite a difference in the price tag too, eh. I think the Tokina looks a tad soft.

7. Most reviewers give the Nikkor the nod, Linda, but I've seen some splendid shots taken with the Tokina.

8. Hey Frank. These are good images, not so much from the IQ standpoint (which can't be really judged at that size), but from a composition standpoint. You'll take to a super-wide, whichever it is, like a fish to water! :wink:

One thing to watch for with the Tokina 12-24 is the amount of CA wide open. When shooting raw, Capture can easily take it out (a single click does a good job), but it's there if you shoot backlit subjects.

9. In general yes, but for a super-wide? IMHO, it does not really matter as you'd be shooting stopped down anyway most of the time anyway...

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

a good sample of the Tokina is nice lens...files have a nikon feel to them, imho.

11. I dunno about that, Philippe. I want to use my WA for tableshots and other people pics. If you look at my first set of samples, you'll see several of them taken wide open at slow shutter speeds. Besides, faster glass focuses more accurately in low light, even if the lens is stopped down and used with flash. I had some focus issues with some of the Tokina test shots.

12. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I've never had focus issues.

I love my Tokina 12-24, but I shoot completely different subject matter. In my (uneducated) opinion, it seems like the 14/2.8 would satisfy your needs better, but the price of it is rather steep.

13. I agree. I've never tried the Nikon version but I had both the Tokina and the Sigma 10-20. I tried them out, side by side, and thought the Tokina had better color rendition and saturation straight out of the camera. I'm sure you've checked the Nikonans article that compares them. The bottom line seems to be that they are all good.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

f4, 1/15s...12mm
    259880620_dc2fc68c38_o.
    f4, 1/20s ...12mm
    View attachment 109373
    ...i was amazed by the sharpness of this lens even @f4

15. Uncle Frank, you are killing me. I really need to go ahead and buy this lens. It looks like it would be perfect for a trip in September when my uncle and I are taking his Corvette to be put on the deck of the USS Lexington with about 299 other vettes. I have never shot a super wide, and I have been putting it off….but I feel like it is inevitable.

Beautiful shots!

16. Given the small focal length and the 1/fl rule of thumb for shutter speed, you typically wouldn't need more than 1/30s to hand-hold a super-wide (I know I don't). Another benefit of super-wides is that if you set the focus at 8-10 feet or so, nearly everything in the frame is in focus. I don't see how low-light focusing would be an issue, unless you are taking pics of things and people just a couple of feet away, but then watch out for those big noses!... :wink::smile:

17. I hear you Ed. For that application I'll stick to my 17-55/f2.8 which does just as well at 20mm... and nearly as well down to 17mm. When I bring out the 12-24, I typically use it for its wide angles, and I use it mostly outdoors, but sometimes indoors, in cramped interiors: however, people are not generally my subjects in these cases... As you say, it really depends on what one shoots! :wink: