Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by SP77, Jun 6, 2007.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx165prodx-a.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mount availability: Canon EOS, Nikon-D
    Focal length: 16 to 50mm
    Maximum aperture: f/2.8
    Minimum aperture: f/22
    Optical construction: 15 elements in 12 groups
    SD glass: One elements
    Coatings: "Water Proof” optical coating
    Angle of view: 82° ~ 31°
    Minimum focus distance: 11.8 in. (30cm)
    Macro Ratio: 1:4.88
    Zooming system: Rotary type
    Number of diaphragm blades: 9
    Filter size: 77mm
    Dimensions: 3.3 in. (84mm) X L 3.8 in. (97.4mm)
    Weight: 21.5 oz. (610g)
    Lens Hood BH-777
    Availability: May 2007

So does anybody have one of these yet? Sigma makes me too nervous. A lot of people seem to like the Tamron, but then a lot don't also. I'm wondering if the Tokina is any better? I'm happy with my 18-55 kit lens and am not in a rush, but this is the newest thing I've found to "lust" over and am eager to hear some feedback. :smile:

Adorama has it listed for $660. I couldn't find it at B&H yet.

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I was interested in this when looking at the Tamron but then I saw it's weight and price. It's probably built better than the Tamron but I prefer to have less weight. At the price and weight I'd probably pay the extra for a second hand Nikon 17-55.

Most problems you find with the Tamron is probably from non-Japan made ones which overexpose (incorrectly calibrated aperture blades?) or front focus. Make sure you get a Japan made one or send it to tamron for calibration, and you'll get a super bargain.

3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    From the Tokina site:

The new Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX makes an excellent standard lens giving the digital photographer the equivalent of a 24-75mm lens in terms of film. From the nature enthusiast to the portrait artist to photojournalist, everyone will be able to appreciate the AT-X 165’s bright F/2.8 constant aperture. This wide aperture allows for faster shutter speeds in low-light conditions or a more shallow depth of field for more pleasing portraits. The out of focus background from a wide aperture setting concentrates attention on the subject giving the photo more strength and intimacy.

Tokina’s exclusive One-touch Focus Clutch Mechanism allows the photographer to switch between AF and MF simply by snapping the focus ring forward for AF and back toward the camera to focus manually. There is no need to change the AF-MF switch on Nikon cameras*** and there is no second AF/MF switch on the lens for Canon, everything is accomplished by the focus ring.

The front element of the AT-X 165 PRO DX has a newly formulated WP or “Water Proof” optical coating on the glass. This new coating makes marks such as spots left by water or finger-prints much easier to clean than standard multi-coating.**

The rear optical group of the lens contains 1 SD (Super-Low Dispersion) glass element to reduce the number of elements (pieces of glass) in the optical design in order to make the lens more compact, light-weight and faster focusing.

I sent Ken Rockwell an email requesting a reivew of all of these lenses, the Sigma, Tamron, and this Tokina to go head to head with the Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8. That would complement his digital wide zoom review very nicely which is great stuff if you haven't seen it. Just like the wide zooms, I'd love to buy the Nikkor but it's way too expensive for my needs so I'll be purchasing the Tokina shortly. Ditto with these f/2.8 mid-zooms. I'd love to buy the Nikkor also but again it's way too expensive for my needs. If the Tokina (or Tamron) are nearly as good for half the price I'll pickup one of these also to eventually replace my 18-55 kit lens.

4. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Hmmm...

Nikkor 17-55: 755g
    Tokina 16-50: 610g
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8: 430g
    Sigma 18-50 f/2.8: 450g

The heaviest lens I've had on my D80 was a Tokina 80-400 which was heeeeeeavvyyyy at 1020g. For comparison an 18-200VR is 560g so this 16-50 f/2.8 from Tokina would only be marginally heavier. I wouldn't mind the extra weight over the Tamron and Sigma so long as the quality and consistency is there, which given Tokina's track record lately it hopefully will be.

5. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    Steve, from the sample images that have been floating around, it's nothing spectacular. The Tamron is probably sharper, and both show significant CA

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Bummer! :frown:

Has any review site done a head-to-head comparo of all of these lenses that anybody knows of?

7. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    Have any links?

8. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I've been really happy with Sigma's 18-50/2.8 macro. It doesn't have the silent focus, but it doesn't seem like the Tokina does either. I haven't heard anybody complain about the Sigma's build quality either. It's about 2/3 the price and weight of the Tokina...

9. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Photozone has the Tokina listed in its "Upcoming" list, so it'll be easier to compare the lenses directly (at least the lab statistics) after that.

10. vadimg

vadimg

May 23, 2007
    ny, ny
    Sounds promising, but since you can often find used Nikon 17-55s for $950 or thereabouts, I would probably opt for the first party version. I had a Tokina 28-70 2.8 and it was very soft wide open. Fantastic build quality though, even better than the Nikon lenses.

11. spyder57

spyder57

May 26, 2006
    I believe there's some on the Tokina website...

12. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
  13. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD