1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tokina 20-35mm 2.8 atx pro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snakeman, Jul 10, 2008.

1. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Considering a purchase of this lens..anyone here used one at all and how does it compare to nikons 20-35mm? Cheers in advance,sample pics would be great.

2. I asked a similar question, I guess you saw the one I did over on Talk Photography?

Sample images have not being forthcoming, and its all gone quiet since I asked for them.

Without images I wouldn't go ahead, as the used UK price for these is circa £120-£140,and I've seen them as low as £80 at Fjordes / Aperture.

Reviews I have read have been very mixed, so I'd need really convincing samples personally. Really hard to find info on this lens!

3. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :wink: Thanks mate and your not wrong..certainly hard to get any info...crikey didn't realise it went for that sort of money either!!

4. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Yeah thats what I was thinking..hence this thread..I have asked the seller for some sample images(as you'e probably seen on TP) but he will have to adjust that price somewhat after looking on ebay..

5. One lens I can recommend (and it only arrived today, alongside the Nikkor 14-24) is the Sigma 15-30. If you are looking for someone with a D700 in mind, then from what I have seen over a quick test shoot, the 15-30 is a real sleeper lens. Very impressive.

6. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    That sounds like a possibility..never really looked at that lens but just had a quick loook around and it seems to get pretty good reviews..sample images?:wink:

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

can u post some samples from that 15-30 sig?

8. Test shots over a lunch hour are always a dangerous thing (!!), but I did get out and about for about half an hour and a couple look OK in that context. I'll put a couple up when I get home.

9. Right, best I could do over a half hour lunchbreak. It was either take a walk, or shoot pens on my desk :smile:

All these are straight from my D60 SD card, as shot, 100% crops done in NX with in-camera sharpening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't PP test shots, so this is probably a "worse case" scenario - all manually focused as the lens won't AF on my D60.

Still pleased with what I am seeing from the lens, first time I've seen them on a screen myself.

Quite a big lens though! (compared to the 14-24)

[​IMG]

HTH

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
  10. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Did you buy this used mate?

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    the tokina is a decent lens. i used this lens quite a bit on a D1 and D100 to cover autoshows. it needs to be stopped down to around f/5.6 or so to get good sharpness. color rendition is on the cool side, typical of tokinas.

the one major issue my copy had is a weird triangular rainbow ghosting that i haven't seen on any other lens.

i'll provide some images when i get home as work blocks access to pbase.

ricky

12. Yeah, Ebay. About £125.

I certainly like the corner sharpeness (at least on DX) and the center sharpness is decent too.

There are quite a few options, the Tamron 17-35 is also very good, and I plan to try that too.

13. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    For that price I would be a very happy bunny mate!

14. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    as promised, here are some samples from the tokina (apologies but these have been compressed by pbase):

original.
    NIKON D100    ---    20mm    f/8.0    1/13s   

original.

original.
    Mod NIKON D1    ---    20mm    f/8.0    1/640s   

some samples of the flare:

original.
    NIKON D100    ---    20mm    f/8.0    10s   

original.
    NIKON D100    ---    20mm    f/8.0    6s   

it's not a bad lens for the price. in the end i sold it because the 20mm f/2.8 gave me better results (and i wasn't using the lens much above 20mm).

ricky

15. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Considering the flare, was there a filter on the lens? Or did it manage that by itself?

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    night shots were taken without a filter. the tokina 20-35mm is the only lens i've used that's had that specific triangular flare.

ricky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.