Tokina 20-35mm 2.8 atx pro

Considering a purchase of this lens..anyone here used one at all and how does it compare to nikons 20-35mm? Cheers in advance,sample pics would be great.

I asked a similar question, I guess you saw the one I did over on Talk Photography?

Sample images have not being forthcoming, and its all gone quiet since I asked for them.

Without images I wouldn't go ahead, as the used UK price for these is circa £120-£140,and I've seen them as low as £80 at Fjordes / Aperture.

Reviews I have read have been very mixed, so I'd need really convincing samples personally. Really hard to find info on this lens!

:wink: Thanks mate and your not wrong..certainly hard to get any info...crikey didn't realise it went for that sort of money either!!

Yeah thats what I was thinking..hence this thread..I have asked the seller for some sample images(as you'e probably seen on TP) but he will have to adjust that price somewhat after looking on ebay..

One lens I can recommend (and it only arrived today, alongside the Nikkor 14-24) is the Sigma 15-30. If you are looking for someone with a D700 in mind, then from what I have seen over a quick test shoot, the 15-30 is a real sleeper lens. Very impressive.

That sounds like a possibility..never really looked at that lens but just had a quick loook around and it seems to get pretty good reviews..sample images?:wink:

Test shots over a lunch hour are always a dangerous thing (!!), but I did get out and about for about half an hour and a couple look OK in that context. I'll put a couple up when I get home.

can u post some samples from that 15-30 sig?

Right, best I could do over a half hour lunchbreak. It was either take a walk, or shoot pens on my desk :smile:

All these are straight from my D60 SD card, as shot, 100% crops done in NX with in-camera sharpening.

DSC_2366-web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_2366-crop.jpg

DSC_2370-web.jpg

DSC_2377-web.jpg

DSC_2377-crop.jpg

DSC_2379-web.jpg

DSC_2379-crop.jpg

DSC_2378-web.jpg

DSC_2378-crop.jpg

I don't PP test shots, so this is probably a "worse case" scenario - all manually focused as the lens won't AF on my D60.

Still pleased with what I am seeing from the lens, first time I've seen them on a screen myself.

Quite a big lens though! (compared to the 14-24)

DSCF0221-web.jpg

HTH

Last edited by a moderator:

fks

the tokina is a decent lens. i used this lens quite a bit on a D1 and D100 to cover autoshows. it needs to be stopped down to around f/5.6 or so to get good sharpness. color rendition is on the cool side, typical of tokinas.

the one major issue my copy had is a weird triangular rainbow ghosting that i haven't seen on any other lens.

i'll provide some images when i get home as work blocks access to pbase.

ricky

fks

as promised, here are some samples from the tokina (apologies but these have been compressed by pbase):

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

some samples of the flare:

original.jpg

original.jpg

it's not a bad lens for the price. in the end i sold it because the 20mm f/2.8 gave me better results (and i wasn't using the lens much above 20mm).

ricky

fks

night shots were taken without a filter. the tokina 20-35mm is the only lens i've used that's had that specific triangular flare.

ricky

Considering the flare, was there a filter on the lens? Or did it manage that by itself?

Latest threads

Top Bottom