1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tokina 28-70/2.8 AT-X prob...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Seymore, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Just recently started having issues with my Tokina 28-70/2.8 AT-X on the D100. When I power it up, for use, I usually get a flashing F-- on the LCD. How I get past this is to release the lens a mm or 2 and then lock it back in, with the power up on the body. Other than this initial start-up problem, I have no other issues with this lens once past this point.

I don't have this problem with any of my Nikkor lenses. I've taken an eraser to the contacts on the lens, and the body, with no positive results.

Anybody seen this issue? Other than sending this non-warranty lens in for repair, or dealing with it at each power-up is there anything else I can try?

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi seymore-

check that your lens fully triggers the switch that's on the lens mount. this switch tells the d50/70/100 that the aperture is set to the minimum value. some lenses don't fully depress the switch because the tab or part of it that pushes the switch has broken off.

ricky

3. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Good idea Ricky... But everything appears in order there. The aperture is set/locked @ 22, the tab is quite intact and all seems to be working smoothly. The aperture will open and spring back normally.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2005
  4. I would try cleaning the contacts very carefully with contact cleaner. That is, you don't want that stuff getting on the body or lens. Apply some to a soft cloth.

What happens if you do the release/relock without turning the camera on in the interim?

5. Hi Seymore,

Is this the ATX SV PRO model? Mine is not an SV model and I have not experienced the problem you described. It might just be a contact issue. Hope you get to resolve your problem soon.

6. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Well Beezle, I thought it was a contact issue... and I did the standard geek cleaning with a pencil eraser. Being very careful to keep any residue out of the body and finer areas of the lens. And the only "contact cleaner" I have is isopropyl. Just gave that a shot, and it appears that when the contacts are still "wet", the cam is fine for a min or so... then reverts back.

When I do a small "slam" (release about 1mm and re-lock) of the lens, and the power is off, when I power on I still get the error. The only way to clear the error is to "slam" the lens with the power applied. I'm really thinking it's a problem with the contacts internal to the lens. I'm NOT having this problem with any other lens I own. Grrrrrrrrrrrr...

I have noticed one other thing that really points me towards the contacts... Once I have everything working, and I turn the cam off. If I power it back up within 1-2 seconds everything comes up ok...again. But, if off for more than 2 sec, I get the error all over again.

Looks like I might just have to live with it.

Hey sarhento... No, it's not the PRO version. This is it...

[​IMG]

7. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    how sharp is this lens ?

8. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Quite sharp. Email inbound...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.