Tokina 300 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Justin.Tyler, Sep 1, 2008.

1. So, a neighbor of mine just switched to Canon, and he has a pretty nice Tokina 300mm f/2.8 AT-X SD lens. He's offered to sell it to me for about $900, and I'm wondering if the lens is worth it, if that's a fair price, etc.

Thoughts?

2. I shot with this lens for quite a few years before I managed to swing the Nikon. Sold many images that were shot with the Tokina.

I can tell you that it is very good optically and is built like a tank.

Is it as good as the Nikon 300/2.8? Of course not. The Nikon does have better IQ if you routinely print at greater than 8x10 and the Nikon AF is faster.

But for the price, the Tokina is an excellent lens.

I am speaking about the Tokina 300/2.8 pro lens in general. Whether the lens you are looking at is worth the money depends of course on the condition of the lens. Since the Tokinas are built extremely well, that will surely help, but what really counts is the condition of the glass at both ends and the drop in filter condition. If all of the glass is in good shape - that is the most important consideration. Second would be the operation of the AF. If the AF works well and the glass is good, you don't have a whole lot to lose for $900. It is the AF version, correct?

If not, I have had no hands on experience with the non-AF version, but I would expect the optics to be similar.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  3. It is the AF version, and the optics are solid, but the AF seems to pop into infinity. I played with the lens several years ago though, and remember it doing the same, and he did use it pretty frequently, so my thought is that it's just a quirk in either this particular revision, or this particular lens itself.

4. Not sure what you mean when you say pop into infinity.

Describe what the AF is doing please

5. It makes a clicking sound whenever the AF goes into infinity.

6. Ah - if it is just one sort of "click" when it hits infinity, mine did the same thing if I recall. But it definitely did not keep "clicking" more than one sort of like a bang as it hit up against infinity.

Perhaps you ought to call Tokina in LA and ask them if this sounds normal.

7. jbacc

jbacc

Apr 1, 2006
    United States
    I owned this lens for several years and sold it to a member of the cafe` last year. I used it on my D2H, but initially, it would focus one time and then would stop working. I had to send it back to Tokina to get it re-chipped. It cost about $120.00 which included cleaning and lubricating the lens. It worked flawlessly after that. The lens was cosmetically and mechanically perfect and picture quality was excellent. I have both a Nikon 300mm f2.8 AFS-I and a Nikon 300mm f4 AF-S and I was hard pressed to see the difference in sharpness and picture quality between them. It did focus a bit slower, but overall, I was very happy with the lens.

The price sounds fair if the lens is in good shape and it does not need to be sent to Tokina to be re-chipped.

Good luck.

Joe...

8. Hi

I have the same lens and find it very good as stated its built like a tank and I find it optically very good. Not as good as a 300mm 2.8 Nikkor but its not 300mm Nikkor money and I got it from a big photo chain in mint condition for £500 inc a 1 year warranty.

It takes my Sigma 1.4 TC very well and at a pinch takes a 2x tc as well.

The autofocus is fast enough for most subjects but not quite AFS quick by a long way.

Heres a few shots taken with it, with D70 D200 and D300 the exif is intact.

Motorsport

2008-07-20_0170copy.

2008-07-20_0137copy.

Jul202008_3723copy.

2008-07-20_0120copy.

With 1.4 TC

2008-07-20_0043copy.

Insects with extention tubes.

Jul152008_3615copy1.

Jul032008_3438copy.

Animals

Jul262008_4087copy.

View attachment 246747

View attachment 246748

People

All shot wide open at f2.8

May212008_2126.

May212008_2124.

May212008_2122.

Hope this helps you decide.

Oh by the way I am very happy with this lens

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  9. The chain you purchased it from wouldn't happen to operate or sell to US customers, would they?

10. I dont know it might be worth an email though to find out.

Heres the link to their used department

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/index.php?target=pages&page_id=preowned

I got lucky and got mine from my local shop in town and so was able to take my D70 down and have a play with it before I bought it. :biggrin:

I think I got a bargain as it looks like it has never been used

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2008
  11. BostjanP

BostjanP

Jun 8, 2008
    Slovenia
  12. So the general consensus is that the $900 is fair for it, assuming there aren't any issues with the AF?

13. Yes I think that equates to £450 and I have seen them go on ebay for £500 - £700 so its a good deal.

The AF is quite fast and copes well with fast moving bikes.

Ian

14. Any info? Is this Tokina 300/2.8 discontinued?

15. As far as I am aware it has not been available for 3 or 4 years. Tokina now only offer a range of 4 or 5 lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.