Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8 AT-X 828 Auto Focus PRO

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PhotoDawg, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Does anyone know anything about this lens? I am trying to find a good mid ranged lens no bigger than 200mm f/2.8. Baseball season is coming up and I would like to get some good frozen solid closeup action shots of my son. :D :D :D

2. Dawg, why not look for an 80-200D ED f/2.8 (AF-S or not). One of the best sellers :!:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_03.html#AF80-200f2.8ED

3. Panos,

I am a dunce when it comes to the different types of lenses out there. Thanks for the link. That is very helpful. There is a significant price difference (50%) between the AFS and Non-AFS.

4. I wouldn't say that... but heck who am I :D
    I got the non AF-S, have NOT regret it so far, but then again I'm not a sports shooter nor a birder... :wink:

5. The reason for that is they AF-S version isn't in production anymore. It was replaced by the 70-200VR. There aren't
    that many 80-200AFS available, so the price is artificially high.

According to Ken Rockwell, the 80-200 non-AFS is about 80% as fast to focus as the AFS version. I bought it on that
    basis, and haven't been disappointed with it. In fact, it's my favorite lens :) .

6. Hey Dawg,

Everybody is correct in telling you to get the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 non-AFS D. I'm no Nikon lens snob, but for some reason, if you are buying 2.8 glass, the third party stuff always doesn't hack it. I bought a Sigma 70-200 HSM, sharp lens, but at 2.8 it was horrible and what's the point of buying 2.8 glass if you can't get reasonable results from f/2.8? The Nikkor f/2.8s are always pro quality. The 80-200 is a pro lens at a killer price.

Oh yeah, if you plan to buy used, don't go over $550 and make sure you get the collar version not the push pull.

PS-I got my insurance to replace my gear from my accident and in the process, I got them to buy me a 70-200 VR...shsssh! :)

7. Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up getting a pretty good deal on a slightly used Sigma 70-210mm APO f/2.8. I wanted to get a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8, but just could not find a good deal on one......plus I am unable to afford a new one at this time. My anxiousness got the best of me. ARGH!!

8. Aww, you know you could of also bought the 180 f/2.8. Used it sells for like $300. The lens isn't exactly fast, but it's supposely tack sharp, known as the zoom killer. The only reason I think people are swaying you to the Nikkor is because of the long run. If you keep buying glass that doesn't live up, you'll spend more money buying bad stuff, when you could of bought the good stuff first! :)