Tokina AF 300mm f/2.8 ATX SD APO Pro for Nikon AF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Is this lense suitable for Digital? Would use it with a D50 for sports. I don't know Tokina that well, and it appears to me that it may be an older lense that may have flair problems.

What is the overall quality of this lens? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.

2. My understanding is that Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma all have nice well regarded 300/2.8 AF lenses. Prices are certainly attractive but the various versions of the Nikkor 300/2.8 all have an edge I think. Good luck and post some images if you buy one.

3. zzhangz

zzhangz Guest

A kind of old auto focus Tamron won't woke with F100 and above and DSLR, please pay attention to that.

4. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    just ordered mine from B&H

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Harry, I have no experience with Tokina, but Sigma is a great alternative. For $2,600, it is a lightning fast focusing lens and built like a tank. RandyNikonCafe just bought a used one and loves it. Contact him if you would consider one.

6. My 12 year old one works perfectly with my D200. So, that does not apply to all the Tamron 300 2.8's. And, a friend of mine bought one from KEH for around $695.00 and it works fine on his D200.

Cheers
    Nancy

7. Thanks, Frank.

8. Thanks, hardwork. Please post here after your initial experience pro or con. Sounds like it might be of interest to others as well as I.

9. Flygirl1...I envy you your photo kit and you plane! Do you know the exact designation for your lense (is it different than the one posted in the heading....my guess is it would be given the passing 12 years?) Thanks for the input given and any that may follow.

10. Fair warning, thanks.

11. From the pictures I've seen so far, I will agree with you on this. However, right now my budget just can't stand a Nikon even used, so I am trying to gather info on the off-brand alternatives out there for sports shooting. Sigma has enough glass in the game to have a following, but the Tokina and Tamron's are harder to get a bead on.

Thanks for you perspective, Mike.

12. Harry,

I'm not sure this is relevant to your original question, since it was regarding a 300 f2.8, but I owned a Tokina 400 f5.6 purchased new in 1996. It did NOT auto focus or meter properly with my D50. Tokina said they could re-chip it for $65.00, but I elected to trade it. Be sure you can return one if you try it. Edit: Mine was the 400 f5.6 ATX SD APO.

Best of luck!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  13. My Tamron is designated as what is in my signature and so was my friends. Be sure to be able to try and return, but there are deals out there. Here are some examples with the lens.

With the 1.4 pro Tamron TC
    [​IMG]
    With the 2.0 TC
    [​IMG]

The AF works well even with the 1.4TC on. The AF with the 2.0 is a bit slower. All metering works. But, this is on the D200, not sure of the D50.
    Hope this helps
    Nancy

14. That's a worrisome heads up, thanks Biker.

15. Thanks, flygirl. Sorry for being so dense.

The pictures are excellent...obviously a good lense even with the tc's. I'll look into it.

16. Billydix

Billydix

Feb 13, 2006
    Harry,
    Tokina is a great lens, the only issue is that it may need to be re-chipped to work on the D50.

17. Thanks, Billy. Yours is the third warning that such may be the case. I certainly can't say I haven't been forewarned. I take it re-chipping is a factory return?