Tokina ATX Pro 28 - 70 f2.8 not bad...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sarhento, Jun 12, 2005.

1. for 20% of the Nikon counterpart which I also have.

Bought this lens recently out of curiousity. Never used a Tokina before so I thought what a heck...bought used from KEH.

Went to a park today and snapped this shot of a friend's son.

[​IMG]

2. Yes, that lens did pretty well in reviews when it came out, some 10 years ago (or so).

The problem is, no matter how good a non-Nikon lens is, as soon as you have the money you'll run for the name. You can't beat a Nikon named lens, even if it's a poorer performer :wink:

3. You're so right.

This is the only non-nikon lens that I have. As I stated, I have the nikon 28-70 AFS as well. When I first started fulfilling my dream in photography as a hobby, I paired a Tamron lens with my nikon F70. Then I had a nagging feeling (right or wrong) that I was settling on second best, so I sold it and bought a nikon. Then I wanted to try macro photography, so I bought a sigma 105. That nasty nagging feeling hounded me again, so I sold it and bought the nikon equivalent. Then I resolved that from that moment on I will only buy a nikon lens until I broke that resolution and bought this tokina.

I have nothing against third party lenses because I know there are a lot of excellent performers out there, it's just that that "feeling you're settling on second best" (right or wrong) is as bad as Lens Lust itself when it attacks you.

Going back to this Tokina lens, I am quite happy with it, very very close to the nikon counterpart, but of course I am bias. :wink:

4. I'm sure it's a fine lens. I owned the Tamron 28-70, and it was excellent, too. But when people say a lens is "very close to the Nikon", they generally are referring to sharpness... and it's the "other" areas where Nikon seems to affer the greatest advantages. Here's my list of lens criteria:

sharpness
    contrast
    micro-contrast
    AF speed and accuracy
    natural color rendering
    bokeh
    compatibility with Nikon speedlights
    build quality
    whether Bjorn likes it :).

I can't speak for the Tokina 28-70, but having worked with both the Tamron and Nikon versions, the only area with the Tamron 28-75 really challenges the Nikon 28-70 is in sharpness. Of course, if cost and size are important to you, the Tamron/Tokina get lost of points.

5. I like your criteria, UF.

I would have placed your last criterion as my first. :lol: