1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tokina versus Nikon

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ICB76, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ICB76

ICB76

Mar 7, 2008
    Nepal
    Looking for some input here because I have always bought Nikon lenses.

When comparing the Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm versus the Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S loads of people choose the Tokina over the Nikon based on bang for the buck and quality(almost $500 difference).

I will be using the lens chosen on a D300 or D40x.

What are some opinions here?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  2. Hi ICB76,

Not really experienced enough to give you a comparison, but when a fellow cafe tog (puddleduck) was selling his Tokina I did a quick search of the web and it seems the lens is rated as being as good as Nikon and as you say for a lot less money.

Take a look at his flickr account and the Southwestern USA set. I understand most of these where taken with the Tokina.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andydrake/sets/72157600272668152/

Best regards

Chris

3. aos111

aos111

Mar 9, 2008
    little rock ar
    I've got the Tokina and I was out shooting one day and had a mishap where it fell on some rocks. I put it back on the camera and to my surprise it continued to operate flawlessly. Made a believer out of me regarding quality.

Andy

4. I will give you my opinion. I will buy a Nikkor lens any day if I need it but I admit there are exceptions to this "rule." The 12-24 f4 is one of those exceptions.
    The Tokina is better built. I cannot say that it will last forever but it seems to be very well made. Optically it compares to the Nikkor at the widest settings and could be slightly better, even wide open although it suffers of more chromatic aberrations and flare. The Nikkor does very well at 24mm; most probably better than Tokina. That was not enough of a convincing reason to me when I decided to buy the Tokina lens.
    I do not have a bench and I do not do extensive testing on my lenses but I have been very pleasantly surprised by the Tokina and I have also used the Nikkor. I have beautiful enlargements to prove my statements.
    Chromatic aberrations are easily controlled with software and flare is not a problem if the lens is properly shaded.
    I do not use a D300 or a D40X but on my D70s and the D2H the lens shines.
    In case you are interested, I was told by Tokina that the rate of return for this lens in USA has been less than 2%.
    I do recommend that you use the lens hood at all times.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

5. Hi William,

Why would recommend using the hood at all times?

Regards

Chris

6. The Tokina will not work on the D40x as it is a D-type lens. Moreover, it has stronger CA than the Nikon (and strong absolute) which the D40 would not correct.

However, the lens should be fine on a D300 with its strong motor and accurate focusing, and automatic CA correction. Better still if you use NX which has another layer of CA correction.

I own the Nikon (bought used) and am very happy with it. If you can swing it, you should have no regrets. One fact mentioned by Thom but not well known: if you ever move up to a D700 or D3 full-frame, the Nikon can serve as an 18-24mm super-wide angle lens. Not sure about the Tokina.

7. slipstream

slipstream

Dec 29, 2006
    Hook, UK
    Using a hood at all times eliminates light getting into the lens and causing flare. this is more so on wide angles lenses like the 10-20, 12-24.
    I have the Tokina 12-24 f4 and chose this over the Sigma 10-20 as I have read some conflicting reports on the Sigma. The Tokina is built like a tank and produces some excellent results. I like the push pull manual/auto selection and would not swap for anything else.

heres some examples

8. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I owned the Tokina at the suggestion of my local camera shop. I may have had a bad sample, but the purple fringing was almost too bad to fix in post. It was 2-4 pixels and easily viewable without pixel peeping.

I'd get the Nikon or, if like me you don't want to pay that much, the Sigma 10-20. They are both extremely sharp. I've been very happy with the Siggy.

9. Gnarl

Gnarl

Jun 25, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I went with the Tokina over the Nikon based on price. I don't shoot wide angle enough to justify the difference.

10. I'm looking at the Tokin 11-16 f2.8 as an alternative to the Nikkor 10.5 fisheye. Any comments from you Tokina people? Quality is more important than price to me.

Bruce

11. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

hey when nikkor sells a 11-16 2.8 for cheap,what they dont even offer on o kay! or money becomes irrelevant in my life fat chance,ill stick to the relistic bargan thank you.that why i dont by ziess or leica.too much money for my blood.

12. ICB76

ICB76

Mar 7, 2008
    Nepal
    I am not sure what "D-Type" lens means because I have not seen anywhere that the Tokina lens will not work with a D40x. I thought all DX lenses work with DX cameras.

Can you explain a bit further?

Thanks.

13. The Tokina doesn't have it's own focus motor, it relies on the camera body's focusing motor to focus - the D40 doesn't have one so the lens can't autofocus. It's the same problem found with trying to use the Nikkor 50mm and other lenses on the D40.

I looked closely at the Tokina over a year ago. I couldn't justify the price of the Nikkor 12-24 to myself and decided to risk the CA problem with the Tokina. It does have CA issues but I haven't found it to be much of a problem at all on my D200.

I have samples under various conditions posted on my site here.

14. Cameron

Cameron Guest

I love my Tokina, it is just crisp as can be a quite vibrant.
    A buddy of mine that shoots weddings has both but uses the Tokina most of the time.
    Just a wonderful lens.

15. I used to own the Nikkor 12-24. I shot a number of shots with the lens in Alaska. Its fine - great lens.

However too be honest the Nikkor doesn't really feel like the more expensive lens - build quality is in the 18-70 DX range, so you are not paying for that, and image quality wise the Tokina and Nikkor are a wash.

I would choose the Tokina, its a great lens.

16. ICB76

ICB76

Mar 7, 2008
    Nepal
    Thanks for all the advice. Sounds like I will go with the Tokina and use it on my D300.

However since the Tokina Auto Focus will not work with the D40x; does anyone have a good suggestion for a macro lens that will work on the D40x?

Cheers.

17. Hi

You don't really need AF for macro. I MF for macro - even with a lens that can AF. Its much quicker and more precise.

The best (only?) options if you do want AF would be the Sigma 150mm or the 105mm VR.

18. I have the 11-16mm f2.8 Tokina and love it. Quality (build and IQ) couldn't be better. Color is excellent. Even has less distortion than I thought it would.

Main reasons I bought it was the f2.8 and fits perfectly below my 17-35mm Nikon. Cost was also a reason since I don't shoot WA all that much and would be hard to justify the Nikon price.

19. ecalcagnino

ecalcagnino

Dec 18, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I have had both at the same time and sold the Tokina. It was great but not AS great as the Nikon for reasons already listed by others here.

Also, the price difference is not that much if you find a nice used Nikon. If you look you can spend a little more than $600 for an excellent copy.

Eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.