Tomatoes for Flew and Pa...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Leigh, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Or anyone else that enjoys a yummy tomato fresh from the garden. My garden is overflowing with tomatoes at the moment. So rather than let them rot on the vine (or my kitchen counter), I decided to start canning them. That way, when winter comes, I'll have fresh tomatoes better than anything that would come from the store. Yummmy! Worth all the work that goes in to it...a touch labor intensive, but I am enjoying it. To prove to you all what I'm doing, though I'd share with the evidence of the fruits of my labor. I know the pictures aren't that great. These were taken at my kitchen table w/very harsh morning light. Enjoy anyway.

You will notice that there are a variety of tomato types. Romas, beefsteaks...and a yellow one called sweet tangerine. This one in particular tastes just like a red, it's just lower in acid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. You have a green thumb Leigh as well as a knack for capturing the fruits of your labor. Well done, the bottled tomatoes look yummy. I come from a long line of canners that have kept us supplied all year. My mom was the best.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon. This was my first attempt at canning tomatoes. I've doen pickles and jellies and jams for many years...but canning always frightened me. But now that I know how easy it is and the benefits and how long my produce will last....nobody can stop me now! :lol:

4. I see some yummy spaghetti sauce in your future! ;) Your shots make my mouth water!

5. Leigh,

Your tomatoes look absolutely delicious. I haven't attempted canning, but I can remember my mother preparing jars and setting up the big black kettle. I really appreciated those fruits and vegetables during the winter.

6. Mmmmmmmmmm, those look sooooooo good! Now I want to go make spaghetti sauce! I'd really like to have a garden, but we are overrun with critters here (rabbits and groundhogs in particular) and I'm not committed to keeping them away...actually I really enjoy them, so I have to get my veggies at the farmers market :) Good for you for canning yours...you'll have the pleasure of yummy tomatoes all year round while the rest of us are opening our cans from the supermarket, hoping for them to actually be ripe and have some flavor, LOL!

Wow, I am seriously craving a good pasta sauce now! Thanks for sharing!

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone! I am really enjoying my garden this year. It's been such a blessing to me as well as to my friends and family. I've given so much away and yet I still have had enough to put up over 40 pints of bread & butter pickles, 18 quarts of dill pickles, so far i've done 18 pints of canned tomatoes (with many more to come!!!)...not including the hot pepper sauce I've been making or the peach jam I made a few weeks ago. Keeps me busy, that's for sure! Cheers to you all and thanks for looking.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I just want the tomato Flew stole from me off Pa's plate lolololol

Wonderful Leigh..

thanks for sharing.

9. WOW Leigh that's great. None of my tomatoes are even starting to turn red. I have a pear tree that I make Pear Jam with, so I know all the work you went through to can the tomatoes. Enjoy.

10. Leigh what do you put in your jar of tomatoes to keep them?

11. Nice shots........you have been a busy girl!! :D :D :D

12. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    ---------------
    CANNED TOMATOES
    ---------------

Tomatoes
    Salt
    Lemon Juice
    Kerr canning jars

Wash tomatoes. Scald in boiling water long enough to remove peel. (1/4 minute). Plunge into cold water. Peel, core, quarter. Measure 1 quart of peeled, cored, quarted tomates and toss w/ ½ teaspoon salt and 2 Tablespoons bottled lemon juice. Firmly pack into jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight. Process in a boiling water bath.

PROCESS:

Pints 35 minutes. Quarts 45 minutes

13. Leigh, I like these shots a lot. I think they capture the essence of the summer canning season. Now if Patrick would just post some shots of you standing over a steaming pressure canning pot...

Seriously, I think the first one would be a good entry for the current photo challenge over at Digital Grin. The theme is "Tasty". :)

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, Leigh's shots of her tomatoes are just great. However, I have something much, much better....Leigh's tomatoes. :lol:

Patrick brought me a sack today, and I came home after my session at the local botanical gardens and sliced up a couple. Talk about good. Mmmmmmmmm!! Lip smacking good. 8)

I'm just sorry that the rest of you weren't here to share. ;-)

15. Awesome Leigh, I live on tomatoes and corn during the summer. I love all the different types that you have mentioned. Thanks for making me hungry!