Tombs-of kings

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ccroy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. The tombs were dedicated to the memory of the seven Qutub Shahi kings who ruled Golconda in India for nearly 170 years.These are located in the heart of the Hyderabad city.The numerous tombs of the members of the royal family, were laid beautifully on the sprawling gardens. The Tombs are a perfect blend of Indian and Persian architectural forms, constructed in gray granite decorated with exquisite ornamentation. The tombs are domed structures, which are built on an elevated square base surrounded by pointed arches. Each tomb is quadrangular and rises to a height of 9 - 15 meters above the terrace. The smaller tombs are single storied while the larger ones are double storied. The domes were originally covered with blue and green tiles, of which only a few pieces remain now.These monuments are a work of splendid beauty and artistry.

DSC_0016.

DSC_0030.

DSC_0037.

DSC_0018.

DSC_0021.

ccroy

2. beautiful and exotic architecture! It would have been nice to see them in their origninal glory with the tile ornamentation. Thanks for sharing.

3. Thanks Paul for looking.I agree that it would have been magnificient to see them in their original glory. But alas...

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    CC Roy :

Ah. I always enjoy seeing your work, which keeps me enticed towards a visit to India some day.

John P.

5. Thanks John for the nice words. es, you must visit to see India and it's ancient glory and the modern developements associated with it's own problems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.