Tomorrow's wedding photographers.

I have a group on facebook for New Zealand wedding photographers and we were discussing the fact that with advances in technology, like this, we soon may have people renting a robot to video their wedding in 4K format at multiple angles, maybe even 3D, and then after the honeymoon they can sit down and "photograph" their own wedding by choosing parts of that video.
Of course there will be many differences compared to having an official photographer but if the price is right I can see this possibly replacing many wedding photographers.
I remember a recent post on the cafe' where someone mentioned that a couple preferred the silly photos from a hired booth to the official photos.
I'm wondering what others think about this?

Not uncommon nowadays with the advancement in video to take stills from them.
Honestly, I don't mind having my own robot.

Not uncommon nowadays with the advancement in video to take stills from them.
Honestly, I don't mind having my own robot.
Screen grabs work remarkably well, even with cheap video cameras. I wonder what "pro" will be complaining they will be out of work because of this? The only answer is ban video cameras at weddings.

Desmond, I am not familiar with that new technology so I will not discuss it. What I can discuss is the fact that after the introduction of digital many professional photographers had to close their studios and I am not referring to top professionals.
Here where I live many photographers I know have not been able to survive, not only because practically everybody has a smart phone but also point and shoot cameras.
Not all couples realize that it takes a professional to turn out professional work and those that cannot pay the high fees settle for work from a non professional that charges them pennies but deliver so so wedding photos.
Professionals in this city are not making the money they were making when film was prevalent. Many of them, as I said, had to close their studios because their income was not what it used to be.
I cannot predict the future of wedding photography. I am sure there will always be a selected clientele that will be willing to pay big money to known professionals.
What I can categorically say is that wedding photography is not like it used to be.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Twas ever thus - there are huge long lists of extinct and anachronistic trades

http://www.worldthroughthelens.com/family-history/old-occupations.php

I don't think adding 'Wedding Photographer' to the list is going to particularly change the course of mankind.
+1

Thank you for saying it. Adapt or die is the key in the 21st century.

There's one item on the list, as I am sure many others, that have benefited mankind greatly once they were opened to the common man and general public. So, progression can be a great thing.:smile:

"ALE TASTER An appointed inspector/quality tester of ale and beer first recorded in London 1377. The forerunner of Weights & Measures Act"

I am completely qualified for that job and I am glad an opportunity has opened up for me. I'm sure the members of that exclusive club were thoroughly peeved when they had to open the doors to us commoners.:biggrin:

+1

Thank you for saying it. Adapt or die is the key in the 21st century.

There's one item on the list, as I am sure many others, that have benefited mankind greatly once they were opened to the common man and general public. So, progression can be a great thing.:smile:

"ALE TASTER An appointed inspector/quality tester of ale and beer first recorded in London 1377. The forerunner of Weights & Measures Act"

I am completely qualified for that job and I am glad an opportunity has opened up for me. I'm sure the members of that exclusive club were thoroughly peeved when they had to open the doors to us commoners.:biggrin:
I quite like the sound of the -

KNOCKER-UP or KNOCKER-UPPER Person paid to wake up northern mill and factory workers on early shifts

I'm a very early riser so I could just do that and then go home again :biggrin:

I'm sure that when people try to explain what on earth a Wedding Photographer was to future generations that will seem just as odd and unnecessary.

It wouldn't surprise me to see our old "stoic" way of photographing weddings change with the times.

A lot has changed with the advent of digital photography so it stands to make sense that wedding photography isn't immune to change either.

IMHO, the first few photographers that begin to think outside of the traditional wedding photography box could stand to be millionaires....:biggrin:

IMHO, the first few photographers that begin to think outside of the traditional wedding photography box could stand to be millionaires....:biggrin:
BINGO!!!!

Beats the hell out of wallowing in your own tears feeling sorry for yourself while blaming others for your circumstances.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom