1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tom's Island

Discussion in 'Merritt Island VI' started by HarryB, Feb 15, 2009.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Y'all,

My personal highlight of the MI VI shoot was the boat ride I took with Tom Carver to an island in the Indian River that serves as a rookery for some of our local birds.
    If you are area between January and March it would be well worth your time to take a ride with Tom.

The first stop was an osprey nest on the river. The only problem was that we got to dang close for my 300mm f/4. Next time I'll use my 70-200
    474362060_3Lnbv-XL.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The island's population included great blue herons
    474362476_7RP5Q-XL.jpg

474362801_dTeQw-XL.jpg

reddish egrets
    474362527_evMvV-XL.jpg

474362550_WeoHa-XL.jpg

and lots of spoonbills
    474362214_4iTF3-XL.jpg

474362238_KLn7S-XL.jpg

2. donkolson

donkolson

Jan 10, 2006
    Sedona AZ
    Love the reddish flying.

3. Wonderful, Harry! I agree that the trip to the island rookery on Tom Carver's boat was definitely a major highlight of my first Merritt experience! We went on Tuesday morning and even though it was rather chilly and the day started out cloudy, it was an adventure not to be missed. Birds everywhere we looked -- it was dazzling!

4. Very well done Harry!! I will have to go out with Tom sometime.

Nancy

5. Excellent shots Harry. I did love the visit to the island.

6. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Harry:
    Yep, it WAS quite the adventure wasn't it? Our boat rides certainly expanded our imaging opportunities considerably. I'll be ready for another boat ride during MIVII.

7. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Beautiful work Harry, you definetly got your monies worth. I may havae to try that when it is warmer.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks, I've been trying to get a decent flight capture of a reddish egret for some time.

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Connie, I was glad that I waited towards the end of the week to take the trip. It was chilly when we started out but warmed up later. You must have been frozen earlier in the week.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Nancy and lets share that boat ride.

11. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Wonderful, Harry! Especially the BIF of the reddish egret and the twin spoonies...

12. The ride out and back certainly expanded my tolerance for cold :eek: :smile:

Wish we had hit the Osprey nest first - Harry, you had some nice light there.

Don

13. Harry, what an outstanding set of images, very well done my friend. I can't wait to get down there and take that boat ride myself.

14. superb photos harry, that boat trip looks fantastic

15. luisv

luisv

Feb 8, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Great set, Harry. The shots with the reddish egrets and pair of spoonies are excellent.

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Alex and it was a marvelous place for photo ops.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Dave and i'm going to try to get out again on the baot before the end of the month. I can't wait until MI VII.

18. Trish5

Trish5

Mar 31, 2005
    WOW Harry! Looks like a well worth it trip! and with reasonable glass too!:eek: 

19. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks John and its oen ride you really should take.

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Kristin. I don't think I've seen a spot in Florida where it was so easy getting BIF captures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.