ToneUp S3 and Capture NX

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by TomaS, Aug 5, 2007.

1. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Does anyone here use Toneup? http://www.toneupstudio.com/

I bought it yesterday and am impressed (only $15!). It loads custom curves into Nikon DSLRs, among many other things.

One thing I would like to use it for is to embed a tone cure in an EXISTING NEF (it can definitely do this because I tried it). Problem is, NX does not seem to recognize the Toneup applied curve when opening the NEF.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Tomas

2. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    This looks very interesting!! Do you know if Toneup can be used with NCapture?
    Lovely photos in your galleries. :smile:

3. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    The Toneup program author assures me that it does work with Capture 4.x, but I do not use that version. And he does not have NX.

4. Have you tried going into the Camera Adjustments | Tone Compensation dialog and selecting "User-Defined Custom Curve"? This should effectively force NX to apply any embedded curve.

You probably don't need to do this if you already have selected User-Defined Custom Curve in the camera and take the shot afterwards, but if you modify a NEF file after it has been recorded when the camera tone curve was set to a standard one (say Normal or Low Contrast), I bet that NX does not know to apply the custom curve... until you tell it to. :wink:

5. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    Good suggestion Philippe. Unfortunately, it does not pick up the changes made by ToneUp with 'custom curve' selected in NX either.