Tonight's moon, at 800mm and 1600mm

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Phil K, Jul 21, 2007.

1. The sky is clear tonight. On my way home, I saw a nice moon up in the sky so I pulled over and took a few shots with the Nikon 800mm F/5.6. This one is cropped.
    original.

And since I also had a TC20 with me, I also gave it a try. This is full frame uncropped.
    original.

2. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Phil,
    Very impressive shots, very sharp.

Are you lugging your 800mm in your car everywhere you go ? :smile:
    By the way, glad to meet you in Chicago.

3. Those are very well done Phil! Did you have a tripod in the car for these?

Sean

4. Wow! Now I want a picture of you and this lens. I'd be just as shocked seeing a 800mm lens! :eek: LOL

5. Thank you Ben. It was my pleasure to meet you in Chicago, and hope to see you soon. I was going home after a birding session and that's why I had the lens with me.

Thank you Sean. I was going home after shooting bird so I had a tripod and gimbal with me as well.

Thank you John. I just notice that I don't have a photo of me using this lens. Here's one standing together with the Sigma 500mm.

original.

6. Wow! It's huge! :eek:

One day I will have one of these. :smile:

7. Awesome detail in those shots.

8. Thank you very much Rich.

9. Hi Phil, do you know if there is any benefit in owning the 800 rather than the 300-800?

10. Phil, that first shot is superb. The subtleties of the moon surface really came out nicely. The second shot seems to lose some of that effect to my eye with the TC.

11. The shot with the 800mm seems sharper and more defined. Excellent shot of the moon Phil.

12. Thank you Dave. I don't have the Sigmas so I can't really answer your question. The 300-800 should give you more flexibility, and some people claim that the image quality is slightly better.

Thank you Mitch. I agree. The contrast and sharpness is not as good with the TC.

Thank you very much Gordon.

13. :910::910::910::910::910::910::910::910::910::910:

Awesome shots!

You just helped me realize to better stop capturing the moon with 200mm.....:Crunk:

14. Thank you Michael. But you can play magic with any lens you have.

15. thrdprophet

thrdprophet

May 13, 2007
    Modesto, CA
    Those are awesome shots Phil, what a coincidence that I also shot the moon around the same time you shot the moon. This is my first try at shooting the moon... It is futile effort and nothing compared to the moon shots of yours. It was done however with just a 70-200 w/the TC 20e II and cropped a bit.

If you have any pointers on how to make better moon images with what I have that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Moon_7-24-07.

16. This is very good for 200mm.

I am no expert and still learning to shoot the moon, so can't really give you good advices.

I shoot in manual focus and manual exposure. The moon is quite bright so you can use a high shutter speed. I would take many shots in different settings and choose the better ones for further processing.

17. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    I echo that :)

18. Thank you very much. :smile: