Too Cliche???

Discussion in 'People' started by ShaunK, May 24, 2007.

1. Had to be a last-minute fill-in for this engagement party, literally 5 minutes to meet the clients and do a quick walk-around before shooting... How did I do? I am trying to practice and improve for my first wedding this summer. My main question is, are some of these too cliche or do they still work?

512785384_a8958d278a_o.

View attachment 97314

View attachment 97315

512819735_8f99e49c2f_o.

I will post some more standard ones in another post... don't want this one to get too big :smile:. Thanks for an honest critique.

2. I like the first one Shaun but the others just don't do it for me. I would rather see the focus on the couple than on the objects. Course they may love them, it is a subjective thing.

3. I like the first one, never too cliché... Pictures like these are always welcome.

I am with Gordon in regards to the other pictures, it does not work for me since I like the focus on the people for this type of photography however the last one is nicely done, could work.

4. Thanks, Gordon and Dude. I know the preference is for the focus on the people, and I did get the "normal" shots as well... this was just me trying to be a little more artistic... I was trying to blur them, but not too much to be unrecognizable :smile:. Maybe I went a little too far? Thanks for your honesty.

5. Shaun, my daughter is a wedding photographer and she does things like this as well. Don't let my preferences deter you from experimenting with this. After all it is the paying customer that will determine the value of this.

6. Oh, I'm not deterred, Gordon, but I do want to see if there is a "right" or "wrong" way to go about this type of shot, "right" being what most people prefer, so every opinion counts! :smile:

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

looks like cadavers.

8. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

I am not a wedding photographer, have shot some weddings, only when asked maybe someone we know or a refferal.

We are actually doing 2 weddings in the next month,, one next weekend and the other early July.

Since my main work is for print or commercial use, the first prerequisite is sharp, clear etc. Although my age says i am younger, my style is traditional and older. The blurry stuff is ok, but you really need to nail it, and pick your spots carefully. It's funny, because in speaking with our client for next weekend, all the blurry and other stuff came up, the final result was no blurry, no che che, just good photgraphy. Everyone must follow there heart, if you like the blurry go for it, just do it well.

9. Huh? Color not right for you?

Yes, I suspect that's true... I guess it's just the artistic side in me coming out... I looked thru our wedding album at home, and our photographer did some of this type, and while it's not the kind to print huge for the wall, I have printed a few 5x7 and framed them to enjoy... but again, that's just me. I guess I have to learn to shoot just what the client wants. Fortunately, I did mostly that, these were just a few shots more for me, if you will. :smile:

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Love the last one with the flowers...but next time instead of flowers...she should be showing off her ring to prove that she's married or engaged.

I think you did a good job.

11. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:Hi Reptile guy. Never clique'. I have that shot in most of my wedding albums and it get's the most response from every bride. They rarely find those shots to be boring. I would suggest that you reposition the brides hand a little and have it somewhat on top of the grooms. I also usually have both hands on top of the bouquet but not completely covering it. Even though a lot of people find the usual wedding pics hokie, they are the ones that sell. My wife and I photographed about 40 weddings last year.
    Just my thoughts, bsvirginian

12. Bob, thanks for the advice... I will put it to use the next time I do one of these. Thanks for looking! Glad to hear from a wedding photographer that these are still in style.

13. take a mix,. even if clients think they know exactly what they want they really don't know what they'll love till they see it,. then there's their relations,. often they have very different tastes from the couple themselves..

Sil